Chat Bot

Am I right to be concerned about the possibility of Chat Bots on this site?

There are a few concerning posts and, as I don't know much about these things, I'm not sure if I'm worrying over nothing here? Can they cause harm to individuals in any way on this type of chat site? 

If I'm being ridiculous, someone please tell me so! (I will be more relieved than offended.)

Parents
  • I find her English to be different.

Is she a native English speaker?

As I am still learning English and want to get it perfect, I prefer to communicate with native English speakers.

• Be careful California. There are people who will correspond and then ask for money with a hard luck story, saying something like they are in debt or had something stolen. Often they will use British names. The nearly incomprehensible English certainly makes me wonder about the whole thing.

• Be careful California. There are people who will correspond and then ask for money with a hard luck story, saying something like they are in debt or had something stolen. Often they will use British names. The nearly incomprehensible English certainly makes me wonder about the whole thing.

Children
  • Maybe learn to enjoy it more ~ in the comfort of knowing that we all do to various degrees here, and that you are welcome to do so with us too. :-)

I noticed that some repetitive things calm me down and I even enjoy, like, stimming, moving back and forth.

But, I hate clocks ticking.

• quotes like the above... aren't going to help me though!!  but pleased that so many people tried to help and with their best intentions.

we are each all very HUMAN..

• "Maybe, he said hesitantly, maybe there is a beast.
    The assembly cried out savagely and Ralph stood up in amazement. You, Simon? You believe in this?
    I don't know, said Simon. His heartbeats were choking him.
    [...]
    Ralph shouted. Hear him! He's got the conch!
    What I mean is . . . maybe it's only us.
    Nuts! That was from Piggy, shocked out of decorum.”
    William Golding, Lord of the Flies

Glad you're good! . I, as always, trying to find a safe place..... duck/dive... flee/fight! poised!!!

• I hope you’re ok. All a bit Lord of the Flies tonight... if that makes sense... ducking down.

I am actually feeling extra good, all be it in that all too exhausted way of course ~ hey ho and all that ;-)

The Lord of the Flies "a bit" is certainly one way of describing it ;-) Which does make quite some ironic sense with concrete analogy factor ten ~ and I well respect both your sense and your sensibilities in terms of the ducking down bit ;-)

Very sensible indeed methinks :-)

• I hope you’re ok. All a bit Lord of the Flies tonight... if that makes sense... ducking down.

• I know that repetitive movements calm me down when I am anxious.

Likewise.

At the same time, I enjoy them. They give me pleasure.

I think of them as creative movements not unlike dancing.

I like rocking back and forth.

I like swaying from side to side gently to keep the muscles and joints in my legs and hips all limbered up when stood, and when as such stressed I micro wiggle my knees back and fourth.

• Only almost? ;-)

I know that repetitive movements calm me down when I am anxious.

At the same time, I enjoy them. They give me pleasure.

I like rocking back and forth.

• I have made a typing error. I did not want to put the word ''if'' there. I, probably, wanted to write ''that''. I, sometimes, write wrong words or miss the words. Although, when I was writing they were in the head. Why is that? Why do I keep doing this?

Every body does that to various degrees, as the head works faster than the hand. So with your ability to think in words being quicker, and your ability to write words being slower ~ your hand or hands cannot always keep up with your mind. It is like trying to write down what someone else is saying on occasions sometimes too quickly.

I know, my language is quite formal. I am quite formal everywhere in my life.

You use short-chain sentences more naturally involving simple terms, and I use long-chain sentences with complex terms ~ in English at least. I very much prefer formality myself also, which is not unusual for people with Aspergers Syndrome, HF Autism or ASD more usually.

• If you do not mind the correction ~ you seem to have put an unnecessary 'if' in the above sentence, you could have excluded it, or used the word 'that' instead.

I have made a typing error. I did not want to put the word ''if'' there. I, probably, wanted to write ''that''. I, sometimes, write wrong words or miss the words. Although, when I was writing they were in the head. Why is that? Why do I keep doing this?

As far as your English goes, there a few rough bits, but it is nicely done, it has character, and a quite pleasant one at that. I am actually learning a great deal from you in terms of writing more concisely myself. Thank you. :-)

I know, my language is quite formal. I am quite formal everywhere in my life.

• Learning English is one of the reasons if I am here and write here so much.

If you do not mind the correction ~ you seem to have put an unnecessary 'if' in the above sentence, you could have excluded it, or used the word 'that' instead. So for instance:

Learning English is one of the reasons [that] I am here and write here so much.

I think you are, probably, tired of me.

As for being tired of you ~ not so.

I know I tend to write here about the same things again and again.

Oh really sorry ~ forgive me for not noticing; I have instead been writing the same things that I do again and again. ;-)

But, remember, I am also autistic.

Do other than to forget perhaps ~ that most of us here are also autistic. ;-)

I like repetition. I would say I almost enjoy repetition.

Only almost? ;-)

Maybe learn to enjoy it more ~ in the comfort of knowing that we all do to various degrees here, and that you are welcome to do so with us too. :-)

As far as your English goes, there a few rough bits, but it is nicely done, it has character, and a quite pleasant one at that. I am actually learning a great deal from you in terms of writing more concisely myself. Thank you. :-)

• Being a pretty new poster here I don't know what your English was like to start with. Rest assured your English is great. Your phrasing, grammar and spelling are at a very good level!

• I think your writing has improved a lot over the time you have been on the forum. Your hard work has been worth it. I agree with Trainspotter, i wouldn't have known that you are not a native speaker.

Thank you very much!

Unbelievable! Thank you! Knowing this makes me really happy!

• I think your writing has improved a lot over the time you have been on the forum. Your hard work has been worth it. I agree with Trainspotter, i wouldn't have known that you are not a native speaker.

• Your English is very easy to understand, so you need not worry. I would not have realised that you were not a native speaker.

Thank you very much for letting me know. I will take that as a compliment.

Learning English is one of the reasons if I am here and write here so much. I think you are, probably, tired of me. I know I tend to write here about the same things again and again. But, remember, I am also autistic. I like repetition. I would say I almost enjoy repetition.

• Your English is very easy to understand, so you need not worry. I would not have realised that you were not a native speaker.

• Thank you very much for the advice.

I hope my English is improving. I work really hard to improve it.

I would be really embarrassed if someone would say about me ''their nearly incomprehensible English''.