A sense of entitlement

Why do so many people have a sense of entitlement?

I was discussing this with a friend at the weekend and we couldn't really get to the bottom of it, other than perhaps it's just been a slow erosion of society and work ethic.

They don't work, but are entitled to (net) taxpayers money, so they can have things that taxpayers can't afford, to live in areas that those taxpayers can't afford, to have holidays, to not work a job they don't want to, to be entitled to an easy and well paid job. That they have "rights" that must be treated as gospel, but not any responsibilities that are tied to those rights. That rules are just for "someone else", a whole attitude that everyone else owes them a living etc. 

What is the flawed mental process where people decide that they are entitled to things just because they want them? How can anyone even attempt to justify that "want" means "entitled"?

• It is slow and laggy but I have come back and seen and made an edit

• Bingo! Good to seeI can edit now. Thanks!

Yay! I am glad to have been of some service. :-) 

• Bingo! Good to seeI can edit now. Thanks!

• Am I dyslexic?

Maybe perhaps ~ here is a link if you wish to check:

Dyslexia Test

https://www.testdyslexia.com/

Dyslexia Screening Assessment. This free, secure and confidential screening assessment will give a profile of learning strengths and weaknesses, including a measure of severity of symptoms. Your answers are confidential. You do not need to provide any personal information to complete this assessment. You can answer ...

If you are or are not dyslexic though, there is thing called 'Lost in translation' ~ in that the mind-body relationship consists of different embodiments on different dimensional plains, all at the same time. Thus we talk of ourself and ourselves in terms of using or being in different states of mind, or moods, and we change these quite often. Consider then that with each state of the mind-body relationship, they operate as like individual people in a particular way, as in being Rational, Sentimental, Communicational, Emotional, Imaginal, Reproductional and Sensational. Each one as being then or offering a particular sensibility or perspective. Like then different people passing on information from one to another, words get dropped, changed or added. Hence the 'The Lost In Translation' thing.
      If that helps?

1. ~ I feel that I owe you an apology myself, as upon rereading the community rules post I wrote to you, I realised I had erred considerably in the first paragraph.

My understanding and comprehension of the mind-body relationship is rather in depth, and I talk and write causally about things that most take as a summation of their character, rather than as an aspect of it. Thus when you spoke of 'demons' being brought on ~ the moral and ethical aspects I described were relative to those aspects of you, and only those aspects of you, rather than you as a sum harmonic. In terms of being a sum harmonic, I mean by this that we all have aspects of us that are of the lesser evil, and of the lesser good, but the greater good of us, that I respect wholly and completed in all.

So I give a full and complete apology without reservation for my poor wording in the first paragraph, and as such I am sorry.

2. I very often miss out words when typing. They were in my head when I was typing but they are not in the text. I also cannot spot the missing words sometimes for some time. Then I need to edit and write the missing words later.

Am I dyslexic?

3. I am not surprised. I do not like the topic of this thread.

This is not nice.

4. Thanks, I'll try it

A pleasure I am sure nexus9 ~ glad to have been of some assistance. Let me know how it goes perhaps, and speaking of which I forgot to mention ~ editing a post is just like writing them and replying once done.

My only difficulty as such is spotting mistakes (in the spelling and missing out words sense) once posted ~ then not being able to spot them for some time when it comes to correcting them!!!

Hey ho :-)

5. Thanks Deepthought. My lovely editor has a mind of its own too, very much a mixed blessing. I wish we could edit things here.

If on your technological device you can see the vote Up and Down arrows, and the Cancel and More options; at the bottom left of all posts ~ you can edit 'your' post or posts by tapping or clicking on the More option; you will then get the option to either Report as abusive, Edit and Delete ~ and be able to edit thereby.

If that is of help?

6. Thanks Deepthought. My lovely editor has a mind of its own too, very much a mixed blessing. I wish we could edit things here.

7. Typo, Deep thought. I cannot edit. A meant a lost cause

Classic ~ I have the lost cause thing on spelling due to dyslexia, and fine motor skills were not included in the human embodiment thing for me either. Plus as a night owl I am pretty certain my brain went to bed an hour ago, only I have got now to drag the curiosity thing into bed with me . . . daunt factor ten ;-)

Have a good one ~ full of many many more also

8. Typo, Deep thought. I cannot edit. A meant a lost cause

9. I took part in a lot of activist activities and demos before I left the UK but it did seem to be aist cause, ultimately

What would an aist cause be nexus9?

10. I took part in a lot of activist activities and demos before I left the UK but it did seem to be aist cause, ultimately. The trouble too was that many other activists were too busy pushing their own agendas, often hijacking g causes like these. Rentamob getting arrested for the sake of getting arrested. I am glad to be out of it. 

I know we this would become a hot potato when I responded and I am sure this thread at least is best left alone too. There are plenty of other things to talk about.

11. You'll be pleased to hear that I'm going to leave these forums.  I shouldn't have got involved with this thread as this is stuff that really gets me going, and brings out my demons. 

Obviously (or maybe actually not yet) I am not pleased to read you are leaving, not at all. And dealing with the demons thing is an important aspect of many people's experience ~ which I respect given my experience of so doing.

I make no apologies for being outspoken, though I'm sorry for the language used and for getting too personal. 

You need make no apology for being outspoken, that much is certain, and your apology for the language you used is accepted completely as far as I am concerned, for you show both honour and integrity in so doing, and that is respectable.

I don't find these forums as helpful as I'd thought I would and I don't want to upset others any more.

Perhaps consider that when social clangers occur, they are addressed and apologised for here, and that is that. Quite a few of us are complete and utter experts at pulling of the old proverbial social plain, train and car wrecks all in one spot. In relative terms you might need to get a few dents out of the bodywork, but definitely not a write off session.

I need to find some peace after some recent problems so it's probably best if I stay offline. I've been drinking heavily for a few months and stuff like this makes it get more out of hand.

Finding some peace off line is perfectly understandable, and respectable, given the nature of learning curves and all that. Perhaps though consider making your time offline 'some' time, in the temporary sense, rather than anything permanent, maybe?

I do though respect and support your decision either way, especially if you decide to stay over the longer term. :-)

Have (at least eventually) a good one ~ full of many many more

DT

12. Yes, it has created a lot of suffering.  I have to deal with the results of some of that suffering as part of voluntary work I do, at a food bank.  I also advocate for sick people who are being penalised by the welfare system, and forced back to work when they are too ill for it.  But some people only want to see things one way, fed by lies and propaganda in the tabloids. There's not much that can be done about that, I suppose, and insults don't help.  Yes, people exploit the system.  But what about those who exploit it at the other end - like May's husband, whose investment firm hasn't paid any corporation tax for a decade.  That's alright though, I suppose, because they're creating wealth!  Yes...for themselves, primarily.  I'm just better off staying away from such arguments.

13. Sorry to hear that, when I have only just joined. Two gone now. I was the one who originally confronted the OP, but I could not leave those remarks unchallenged. I had not really wanted him to leave either, but I do believe that attitude, stoked by Cameron, creates so much suffering.

1. I have never been formally diagnosed as an adult but I have been delighted to share ideas and experiences with intelligent adults around  my age who have dealt with sitar challenges and anyway when it comes to discussing films etc, it's a question of never mind the autism anyway. I just like finding people on a similar wavelength.
    14. Spending too much time on these forums with a small number of people is bad.  It can make one lose touch with reality and the outside world.

Take a break.

15. You'll be pleased to hear that I'm going to leave these forums.  I shouldn't have got involved with this thread as this is stuff that really gets me going, and brings out my demons.  I make no apologies for being outspoken, though I'm sorry for the language used and for getting too personal.  I don't find these forums as helpful as I'd thought I would and I don't want to upset others any more.  I need to find some peace after some recent problems so it's probably best if I stay offline. I've been drinking heavily for a few months and stuff like this makes it get more out of hand.