A Short Word History of Mum and Mummy

I am feeling low and so I thought I would try to improve my mood by looking into the history of mum and mummy (as in one's mother). I find it fascinating looking into words in this way, particularly such everyday words.

If, like me, you thought that mum was a contraction of mummy then ... you are wrong! That came as surprise and shows that such things can be counter-intuitive.

Surprisingly, mum is the older word by nearly two centuries. The OED's first recorded use of mum is from 1595 (albeit the date is uncertain) whilst mummy dates back to 1768.

The OED's etymology states that mum is probably a variant of mam. The etymology of mummy is similarly uncertain and is considered to be either a variant of mammy or, perhaps, mum plus the -y suffix (which is used to form pet names).

Parents
  • Hi carerwo sorry you are feeling low right now!

It happens to most of us, that is a given unfortunately.

I find focusing on something in a similar way to you have is a good way of lifting the spirits.

I oftenvstart a long rambling thread, I do try to give information with it as if I feel I might have helped just one person it makes me feel better in myself.

All good then, I potentially help or give relief to someone in exchange for being shown kindness back.

take care, ,,,,,what about “daddy”? Lol. Well I am one.

x( ) x 

• Thank you.

Well, the OED's first recorded use of dad is 1533 compared to 1523 for daddy. The former's etymology is 'probably < the (reduplicated) syllable /da/ which is characteristic of early infantile vocalization, with loss of the final vowel', although there are notes that 'it has been suggested that the word [dad] was borrowed from Welsh tad' and 'slightly earlier currency [of dad] is probably implied by daddy'.

The etymology of daddy is considered to be similar to mummy, i.e. dad plus the -y suffix (although dad is first attested slightly later daddy).

• The spelling 'daddie' is used by Robert Burns in his 1785 poem 'A Poet's Welcome To His Love-Begotten Daughter ...'

Thou's welcome, wean! Mischanter fa' me,

If thoughts o' thee or yet thy mammie

Shall ever daunton me or awe me, My sweet, wee lady.

Or if I blush when thou shalt ca' me Tyta or daddie!

• The noun daddy has gone through a number of forms since 1523 (which the OED supports using a quotation with the form dady) whereas the noun mummy has only had two forms (mummy and mummie) but is a much later word.

The noun mammy which, according to the OED, also dates back to 1523 has had even more forms than daddy.

Nowadays we think of the nouns mummy and daddy belonging together but from a historical point of view the nouns mammy and daddy go together.

• The noun daddy has gone through a number of forms since 1523 (which the OED supports using a quotation with the form dady) whereas the noun mummy has only had two forms (mummy and mummie) but is a much later word.

The noun mammy which, according to the OED, also dates back to 1523 has had even more forms than daddy.

Nowadays we think of the nouns mummy and daddy belonging together but from a historical point of view the nouns mammy and daddy go together.

Children
No Data