A letter from a student to his teacher.

Came across this in. face book. Thought I would share it as it is autism awareness week soon 26th march to 2nd  April.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.friendshipcircle.org%2Fblog%2F2014%2F05%2F15%2Fan-open-letter-from-a-child-with-autism-to-a-teacher%2F&h=ATPrQFIjCGNcHwNwFJ7PQ7-bQDkFdgb_Bk0ZOGxWioo1WX0IZ-_YvroJTp-MUGhI0lP9lNGaBeUe1wWuLqfCggSbTHNAgLPUz6zS_s3MMP_nu5QQooK6DoIrij6O1jk8JqU

x()x

I just checked the link worked ok! It vanished after a few seconds so here is the letter.just in case,

Dear Teacher,

Thank you for helping me learn. I love to go to school. When I go to school, I notice that you give me a smile. You say, “Hello,” in a gentle voice. That makes me feel happy.

I need help focusing in class. My brain sometimes flops. Sometimes I feel tired and I don’t know why. Sometimes I get distracted when people move around. Lights and noises sometimes distract me. I like it when you turn off the lights. You should use a gentle voice.

I work a lot. I feel like I am working all the time. Hard work makes me feel tired. I need a break to walk around.

You should always tell the truth. One time I had a teacher who liked to say, “Good job.” I tested her. I gave her wrong answers. She kept saying, “Good job.” She was not telling the truth. When I make a mistake now, you always say, “You have to try again.” That is telling the truth. I like it when you tell the truth.

I don’t like missing class to go to Social Skills or Speech. I like my regular schedule. I want to be with the other students in my class. I want to learn with the teacher.

I like Lunch Club. Lunch Club is part of my schedule. I do not have to miss class to go to Lunch Club.

I feel confused when I have to talk to other students. I like to be around other students. But I don’t know what to say.

Words can hurt me sometimes. When I was in preschool, I asked my teacher where Mom was. The teacher said, “Your mother is gone.” I felt scared. I like it when you tell me, “I like to work with you.” I like it when you look in my eyes. I like it when you answer my questions very carefully.

I like to try new things at school. I need someone to help me learn how to try. After I learn how, I can do it on my own. That means you are a good teacher.

Your Friend,

Louie

Parents
  • Beautiful. I hope the teacher felt good about what she/he has done for this lad

• I know such a teacher, she truly understands each child and has the kind and loving heart that allows the child to understand and feel accepted.

she rarely gets any praise or acknowledgement from her  adult colleagues but parents and children often write letters of thanks.

It takes a special kind of person to truly understand a child with autism, A teacher with Aspergers for instance!

x()x

• maybe the other teachers just don't understand her .... but I bet the kids and their parents understand and appreciate her.

I had a history teacher who was definitely autistic, but his subject was also his special interest and wow did that make him a good teacher. Every topic, he would have a list of books to study on the subject. Fascinating guy and started an enduring interest that has lasted to this day. I didn't know I was autistic then (only diagnosed in my 40s) but perhaps that explained why he saw a kindred spirit and lead me further along the path of learning. Here's to you, Mr Sexton, I still love all things historical today :-)

• Aww thank you Lone, I will take one happily ... and send one right back ( )

It is hard when you're just trying to do what is expected of you, but it never quite matches up to expectations, and no-one tells you why. They just tell you off. I lost count of how many times I got told off for being rude and disrespectful, when I was just trying to ask a question. Something wrong with tone of voice? Not recognisingf that there is supposed to be a hierarchy .... we'll never know. 

Female aged 47, so Aspergers was not recognised when I was at school at all.

• Aww thank you Lone, I will take one happily ... and send one right back ( )

It is hard when you're just trying to do what is expected of you, but it never quite matches up to expectations, and no-one tells you why. They just tell you off. I lost count of how many times I got told off for being rude and disrespectful, when I was just trying to ask a question. Something wrong with tone of voice? Not recognisingf that there is supposed to be a hierarchy .... we'll never know. 

Female aged 47, so Aspergers was not recognised when I was at school at all.

Children
No Data