A letter from a student to his teacher.

Came across this in. face book. Thought I would share it as it is autism awareness week soon 26th march to 2nd  April.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.friendshipcircle.org%2Fblog%2F2014%2F05%2F15%2Fan-open-letter-from-a-child-with-autism-to-a-teacher%2F&h=ATPrQFIjCGNcHwNwFJ7PQ7-bQDkFdgb_Bk0ZOGxWioo1WX0IZ-_YvroJTp-MUGhI0lP9lNGaBeUe1wWuLqfCggSbTHNAgLPUz6zS_s3MMP_nu5QQooK6DoIrij6O1jk8JqU

x()x

I just checked the link worked ok! It vanished after a few seconds so here is the letter.just in case,

Dear Teacher,

Thank you for helping me learn. I love to go to school. When I go to school, I notice that you give me a smile. You say, “Hello,” in a gentle voice. That makes me feel happy.

I need help focusing in class. My brain sometimes flops. Sometimes I feel tired and I don’t know why. Sometimes I get distracted when people move around. Lights and noises sometimes distract me. I like it when you turn off the lights. You should use a gentle voice.

I work a lot. I feel like I am working all the time. Hard work makes me feel tired. I need a break to walk around.

You should always tell the truth. One time I had a teacher who liked to say, “Good job.” I tested her. I gave her wrong answers. She kept saying, “Good job.” She was not telling the truth. When I make a mistake now, you always say, “You have to try again.” That is telling the truth. I like it when you tell the truth.

I don’t like missing class to go to Social Skills or Speech. I like my regular schedule. I want to be with the other students in my class. I want to learn with the teacher.

I like Lunch Club. Lunch Club is part of my schedule. I do not have to miss class to go to Lunch Club.

I feel confused when I have to talk to other students. I like to be around other students. But I don’t know what to say.

Words can hurt me sometimes. When I was in preschool, I asked my teacher where Mom was. The teacher said, “Your mother is gone.” I felt scared. I like it when you tell me, “I like to work with you.” I like it when you look in my eyes. I like it when you answer my questions very carefully.

I like to try new things at school. I need someone to help me learn how to try. After I learn how, I can do it on my own. That means you are a good teacher.

Your Friend,

Louie

• Aww thank you Lone, I will take one happily ... and send one right back ( )

It is hard when you're just trying to do what is expected of you, but it never quite matches up to expectations, and no-one tells you why. They just tell you off. I lost count of how many times I got told off for being rude and disrespectful, when I was just trying to ask a question. Something wrong with tone of voice? Not recognisingf that there is supposed to be a hierarchy .... we'll never know. 

Female aged 47, so Aspergers was not recognised when I was at school at all.

• Thank you for sharing the letter!

I was struggling a lot at school.

I recognize myself and my struggles.

• This is beautiful, thank you for bringing it here as I don't have Facebook and would otherwise never have come across it. 

There were a few of my teachers over the years who made a positive impact on me, it would be nice to have had the opportunity to tell them that. Mr Billing's my Geography teacher, he helped to nip in the bud a nasty bullying issue for me during a school trip to Aviemore but, bless him, almost ruined all of his hard work by asking (13-year-old) me to dance at the party on the last night there. He was a genuinely lovely person. 

Miss Cameron, a primary school teacher who stuck up for me repeatedly against a witch of a headteacher who used to line little kids up outside her office to get the belt (she was not happy when that was banned a couple of years later). Miss Cameron took me out of the line on more than one occasion arguing that 'refusing'  (being unable) to read aloud in class did not merit the belt! 

For every bad teacher I can thankfully think of two others who made up for it. It's been a lovely trip down memory lane thinking of this @Lonewarrior   :)   Thank You   ()

• Thank you for really understanding, they were difficult times for me, I cannot  blame any of the teachers as not much was known about autism and what was known wasn’t shared,  add to that dyslexia and ADHD no wonder I was considered lazy,not wanting to learn, always daydreaming,never interacting,forgetful,always fidgeting about.

How little they knew how much I so wanted to understand, I blamed myself as it seemed I was the one at fault.

By the way the ( ) is called an aspie hug, I offer them as they are virtual on here,, I rarely hug in reality, 

feel free to take one if you wish, that offer is extended  to anyone wanting one. ( ) () () () () () ().

male aged 55.

• funny I was just saying tonight that I think half of my teachers hated me, the other half had to disapprove occasionally when I was being "disrespectful" or "disruptive" (not intentionally) but I think secretly kind of liked me ....

It's funny isn't it how the way we were then makes so much more sense knowing what we know now 

x x

• Found him on Facebook, he has many former pupils as friends, He was very religious but never once tried to preach or talk about his beliefs, he just cared for others, 

I wanted to find him so I could say sorry for not always appearing to be a model student. I did try but wasn’t aware I had Aspergers, he never gave up on me though.

thanks moggsy,

x()x

• I hope these teachers know how much of a difference that they have made in our lives. Special people indeed. My father was also a teacher and I know he cared more about the one person who he helped to have faith in themselves than the 20 key performance indicators that he was no doubt judged on.

Good teachers can and do make a real difference, don't they?

Very cool that you still know your Mr Piper :-)

• She To has a special ability in her chosen subject.

she teaches  predominately NT children but also has a few with autism, They are all special in her eyes, they also accept her as an individual who shows enthusiasm and a caring nature, they are not yet judgemental and have open minds willing to be tolerant of difference, young minds are not fixed, 

Thank you for your story, I also had three teachers all told who went the extra mile to give me belief in myself, 

without them I would likely have never achieved anywhere near as much as I have.

A kind lady teacher who first taught me to read in a kind way as I was way behind the others, she didn’t broadcast it, she just gently taught me in a way I could understand it all.

Mr Mitchell,metal work.was down to earth and only gave praise when it was earnt.he praised me often.

Mr Piper, chemistry.and gave me belief in myself, took us on school trips to see nature in its full glory.I still know him all these years later, a very loved teacher by hundreds if not thousands,

x()x

• maybe the other teachers just don't understand her .... but I bet the kids and their parents understand and appreciate her.

I had a history teacher who was definitely autistic, but his subject was also his special interest and wow did that make him a good teacher. Every topic, he would have a list of books to study on the subject. Fascinating guy and started an enduring interest that has lasted to this day. I didn't know I was autistic then (only diagnosed in my 40s) but perhaps that explained why he saw a kindred spirit and lead me further along the path of learning. Here's to you, Mr Sexton, I still love all things historical today :-)

• I know such a teacher, she truly understands each child and has the kind and loving heart that allows the child to understand and feel accepted.

she rarely gets any praise or acknowledgement from her  adult colleagues but parents and children often write letters of thanks.

It takes a special kind of person to truly understand a child with autism, A teacher with Aspergers for instance!

x()x

• Beautiful. I hope the teacher felt good about what she/he has done for this lad