A complaint free world

Has anybody taken the complaint free challenge? 

The challenge is, to get to 30 day’s straight of not complaining. You have a wrist band and start with it on one wrist and every time you catch yourself complaining, you switch the band to the opposite wrist until you have had it on the same wrist for 30 days. 

It can be fun to do it with other people but the thing about that is, if you notice the other person complaining, and they don’t notice, if you tell them, you have to switch your band as well! Lol! I’ve been in that dilemma a few times lol! 

Like the Four Agreements though, if you implement the suggestions in the book, it’s a game changer and can lead you to eternal happiness with some fun along the way. 

For those who don’t already know, what do you think the average length of time is for people to make it to 30 days straight? 

Parents
  • If this helped you BlueRay I'm pleased to read it but this sounds rather silly to me and as though it could cause more harm than good. There are often situations where it is right to complain and by not doing so you risk causing hurt to others. For example, a poster on another thread became very upset when an OH nurse used the word disease to describe aspergers. There are a lot of people who become upset when the wrong terminology is used to describe them. By complaining once and asking the terminology to be changed this could encourage the nurse to proof read her documents with more care and as such avoid upsetting more people in the future. Whereas not complaining means these mistakes could keep happening with many further people becoming distressed by these typos.

• The situation you’re referring to isn’t a complaint, it’s a request. There’s a difference. 

For example, if I go to a restaurant and the food I order comes out and it’s not what I requested. If I speak to the waiter and tell him I would like them to take the food away and bring me what I requested. That’s not a complaint, it’s a request. 

If, however, I turned to my dinning partner and said the food here is terrible, I’m not coming here again blah blah blah, that’s a complaint and all it does is drag me and the other person down and away from our joy. 

There’s a very clear distinction between a complaint and a simple straight forward request. 

• I disagree. As you highlighted in your examples above, the difference between a request and a complaint is the terminology used. If the email started with 'I am writing to complain about the OH report I recently received' it would be a complaint not a request.

In my previous employment, I supported a staff and disability network. Unsupportive managers would use typos in reports as a way of delaying implementing reasonable adjustments as they'd say they needed to wait until they'd received the final report before they could do anything. This was flagged to the OH service, who were outsourced, but typos still appeared regularly. Due to this, we encouraged members to make formal complaints in these situations and eventually it did improve the quality of the reports staff received. 

• People complain endlessly, every day, several times a day, over and over again, it’s probably the biggest national pastime for people in this country. They can’t get enough of it, they even compete with each other with who has the biggest complaints, e.g. my health is worse than yours or my life is worse than yours! Lol! They even complain about the weather which is the one that always cracks me up but yeah, if you’re into it, crack on. I avoid complainers like the plague, they drag me down. I prefer happy people who are more into living life, they energise me and lift me up. I prefer action takers. I just can’t see the benefit of a complaint. I can see the benefit of making a request or demands for change but complaining makes no sense to me. But people love it so each to their own is what I say. 

What’s the saying ‘he’s never so happy as when he’s just missed the bus’ lol! They do amuse me (complainers) so long as I don’t spend too much time in their company. 

All that HR business you described, sounds awful. I think I’d rather eat my own vomit than get involved with stuff like that although I love love love working in customer services and no matter what job I’m in, my ultimate speciality is angry, aggressive people. I’ve been asked to speak to some of the biggest complainers going because I always without fail turn it round. I’ve never failed yet and I’ve had some fantastically angry people. 

• People complain endlessly, every day, several times a day, over and over again, it’s probably the biggest national pastime for people in this country. They can’t get enough of it, they even compete with each other with who has the biggest complaints, e.g. my health is worse than yours or my life is worse than yours! Lol! They even complain about the weather which is the one that always cracks me up but yeah, if you’re into it, crack on. I avoid complainers like the plague, they drag me down. I prefer happy people who are more into living life, they energise me and lift me up. I prefer action takers. I just can’t see the benefit of a complaint. I can see the benefit of making a request or demands for change but complaining makes no sense to me. But people love it so each to their own is what I say. 

What’s the saying ‘he’s never so happy as when he’s just missed the bus’ lol! They do amuse me (complainers) so long as I don’t spend too much time in their company. 

All that HR business you described, sounds awful. I think I’d rather eat my own vomit than get involved with stuff like that although I love love love working in customer services and no matter what job I’m in, my ultimate speciality is angry, aggressive people. I’ve been asked to speak to some of the biggest complainers going because I always without fail turn it round. I’ve never failed yet and I’ve had some fantastically angry people. 

Children
No Data