Explaining foul language to my son

My son has attended a private school since kindergarten, he is currently in the 4th grade. We have had a problem the last two years with a child in his class saying inappropriate and derogatory words. The school will do nothing about it even though they are a Christian school. We do not speak any foul language in our home. I struggle with explaining things to him in a way he can understand and process. If anyone can give me some tips on how to explain these things to him I would graciously appreciate it! Thank you!

Parents
  • I explained these things to my children in the same way that I explained 'slang' terms, regional and foreign accents / terms, and abbreviations: some people say this or that or the other, but we don't. 

"Why?" sometimes followed and I generally explained that the words were: inaccurate, open to misinterpretation, derogatory, silly, or that they made the user sound inarticulate / unable to 'use their words' and find something more mature / better suited, or simply that the words didn't make sense used out of context such as speaking German in a French class. 

It can sometimes, at certain ages and stages, be the case that young children find the use of certain words / terms attractive purely because they invite a reaction. Depending upon the word / situation it can be a strategic move to give no reaction at all. They soon grow bored that way and, hopefully, grow out of it. 

• Endymion's Post there, is brilliant advice. I can only Post a great support to all of it. Please heed all of that, "Momma2018"... and also note that only some children do not grow out of it, just as Endymion says.

Reply Children
No Data