Do You Write With a Fountain Pen?

I suspect that I am in a very small minority of people who write almost exclusively with a fountain pen. Certain paper and card means I sometimes have to use a ballpoint pen but, given the choice, I will always choose a fountain pen.

I use either a Conway Stewart fountain pen (my good pen) or a Lamy fountain pen (my everyday pen). Unfortunately, Conway Stewart went out of business some time ago, however, Bespoke British Pens bought what stock existed and still make, in effect, Conway Stewart pens. I bought my Lamy fountain pen from a shop near where I worked in London many, many years ago. I bought my Conway Stewart more recently from Andy's Pens (http://www.andys-pens.co.uk/) who stock a range suitable for nearly every budget.

With a fountain pen I can I watch the ink glisten on the paper before drying. I consider writing with a fountain pen is writing with a soul; I find writing with a ballpoint soulless.

As I have mentioned on this forum before, I was once told, "There are two things in life you do not lend: your fountain pen and your wife. In that order."

Parents
  • I get as great deal of pleasure if I have the time,writing with a fountain pen.

I can have extremely neat writing which needs an italic nib, and when I make the effort others remark on how beautiful it is. However, my normal writing with a biro is nearly illegible especially when rushed.  In fact even with a fountain pen I need the time, I cannot write neatly at all when rushed, something which caused problems with school exams.

Ink these days is far more than the one shilling a bottle (5p) it was when I was at school, and the variety of colours is more restricted. And to bring it to its best it needs some parchment type paper. I am a bit of a perfectionist!

• My writing deteriorates in relation to increased stress and low mood. The more relaxed I feel and the better my mood the neater my writing.

• Same! In fact, because I’m a prolific writer, I write as a way of helping me process stuff, I now look at what my handwriting is like to give me clues as to how I’m feeling. If it’s really neat I’m on the good side, if it’s scruffy, I’m on the not so good side. But from the state of my writing, I can usually figure out what’s going on for me.

• Thanks for that. I’ll check them out. The short courses I’ve found are residential, they’re all free, food and accommodation included and I’ve been before and it’s a lovely place but I like to learn from home as well so thanks for the recommendations and the link to the online course. 

• I recommend Fowler's and Hart's; both are very readable and very helpful when it comes to writing.

A while ago I took the Grammar at Work online course (http://www.grammaratwork.co.uk/welcome/GAW/#login) to refresh my grammar knowledge.

• Writing has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. I write poetry as well but mostly, I just write! Lol! But yeah, I’ve also started to learn from it, from my different writing styles, i.e. scruffy or super neat etc and I’m finally going to learn about grammar and stuff. I couldn’t learn it at school, they went too quick for me, but finally I’m going to be going on a series of short courses to learn more, including some short writing courses as well.

I love all things writing Writing hand Heart

• Writing has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. I write poetry as well but mostly, I just write! Lol! But yeah, I’ve also started to learn from it, from my different writing styles, i.e. scruffy or super neat etc and I’m finally going to learn about grammar and stuff. I couldn’t learn it at school, they went too quick for me, but finally I’m going to be going on a series of short courses to learn more, including some short writing courses as well.

I love all things writing Writing hand Heart

Children