Being treated like a child

Hello I feel really angry about being treated like a child when I am now almost 20 years of age in April like not being listened to or understood like an adult, a lot of things like some jobs, renting or buying certain cars or other vehicles, cervical screening for women, young drivers no longer being allowed to drive at night time and also children's services being up to 25 when this is getting so stupid as I have read in the past about an article when a lot of people have said before that 25 would never be the new 18 in which I have always found true as we are all adults before we are 25 years of age. I feel like I need to talk to someone or a lot more people a lot about this as I want their opinion about this and what they think and I am hoping a lot of them would agree with me on it and also say that adolescence does not really end at age 25 like they keep saying online or anywhere else.

Parents
  • I think people mature in different ways and at different times. Some people may be physically mature but not emotionally mature, others may be socially mature but not intellectually mature. Everyone is different depending upon their experiences. It's recognised that the brain doesn't stop maturing until a person is about 25 but again this can vary between people. 

I don't know much about Children's Services (I'm assuming you mean as a department of Social Services?) but I would think that it covers up to age 25 because younger adults are still considered vulnerable up to that age and the Children's Services are perhaps more equipped to support young adults than the wider service may be.

Perhaps Children's Services can offer young adults better access to resources and funding? I wouldn't expect the intention is to treat young adults as children, although I can see how it may feel like that in certain situations. I think 'checking-up' on young adults could be part of the assessment to determine how independent the person is (or is ready to be) given the new responsibilities they may be coping with at that age. 

I haven't heard about restrictions on under 25's driving at night. 

Women can have cervical screening under age 25!! Did someone tell you you couldn't?   

• Well nobody told me that I could have cervical screening under 25 in the UK as I thought it was still 25 and also we should not be considered vulnerable up until 25 anyway as we are not children and also I would like for just only a few children's services to be from up to 25 rather than it be all or most of them as it is wrong now as we should still be considered children or vulnerable up to age 18 as this is the proper age we become adults and I would like for a lot of people to start complaining to the government about the new law coming like banning people under 25 from driving at night now and also more other things that need to be improved too.

• Hi , I've just Googled what you said about under 25's not being allowed to drive at night.

This is a proposal being considered at the moment by the government, so there's no guarantee that it will actually become law. Even if it did though, it's not being considered as a total ban for everyone under 25. The idea is that anyone under 25 who passes their driving tests has to wait 2 years before being allowed to drive at night (it might apply only to those carrying passengers, rather than those driving alone). 

So, for instance, someone who passes their tests at 17 could drive at night at age 19. 

I don't think there is a "proper age we become adults", the laws in every country are different and even vary enormously within a country - so there is no one, single age we become adults in law. 

In Scotland, for instance, a person can vote in local elections at age 16 but has to wait until 18 to vote in UK elections. A person can rent a house at age 16 but isn't eligible to pay Council Tax until 18. The age of criminal responsibility in Scotland is 8 years old but only over 18's can serve on a jury. It's a very mixed picture and these laws often don't make much sense when the full picture is considered. 

'Being' an adult, 'Feeling' like an adult, and 'Considered an adult in Law' are all very different things.  

• Hi , I've just Googled what you said about under 25's not being allowed to drive at night.

This is a proposal being considered at the moment by the government, so there's no guarantee that it will actually become law. Even if it did though, it's not being considered as a total ban for everyone under 25. The idea is that anyone under 25 who passes their driving tests has to wait 2 years before being allowed to drive at night (it might apply only to those carrying passengers, rather than those driving alone). 

So, for instance, someone who passes their tests at 17 could drive at night at age 19. 

I don't think there is a "proper age we become adults", the laws in every country are different and even vary enormously within a country - so there is no one, single age we become adults in law. 

In Scotland, for instance, a person can vote in local elections at age 16 but has to wait until 18 to vote in UK elections. A person can rent a house at age 16 but isn't eligible to pay Council Tax until 18. The age of criminal responsibility in Scotland is 8 years old but only over 18's can serve on a jury. It's a very mixed picture and these laws often don't make much sense when the full picture is considered. 

'Being' an adult, 'Feeling' like an adult, and 'Considered an adult in Law' are all very different things.  

Children
No Data