National Key Scheme for toilets.

I have had a 'Radar' National Key Scheme key for some time.

I find public toilets impossible, they are smelly and unhygeinic with wet (urine) soaked floors, rudimentary handwashing facilities, and only slightly better than wetting myself. I will only use one when absolutely desperate.   I therefore thought that as I was Autistic I would get a key so I could use the 'disabled' toilet.

Problem is, I cannot bring myself to use it.  I do not have a wheelchair or have physical problems using a 'normal' toilet.  The problems I have are a mental aversion.  On the odd occasion I have used the 'disabled' toilet (what a strange name, it is not the toilet that is disabled, it works perfectly!) it is because the normal one is out of use.  And it has always been a lot cleaner and more pleasant.

So should I just grit my teeth and bear the normal toilets?  Or should I ignore the (perceived) thoughts of those who think I should not use the disabled toilet.  Or is it the case I should not use the disabled toilet at all as they are only intended for those who are physically disabled?

Parents
  • Greetings, to "Brains from Thunderbirds"...(!)

I must say that I am not certain as to why I reply to this... but I support what you say and Mr.Robert123s answer. However, this is my own experience...

From Schooldays, I had built up an aversion to using "public/communal" toilets. Nowadays, I use the toilet before going out, and "hold it", until returning to a safe place again...!

You are totally correct about "Disabled" Toilets... spacious, cleaner (-ish), "more pleasant"... I use these when I can find them, and it is indeed all of that - compared to "normal" toilets...

(And as I type this, another answer has said what I was about to say - do not eat or drink while being away from a safe "toileting" area!)

...Finally, I say, do not be embarrassed or reluctant, for two reasons: 1- you are not the only "not in a wheelchair person" who does this. Just sit outside and you shall see (!). And 2 - ...You say that you have a National Radar Key Scheme... you yourself must have qualified for it, and so you are perfectly within your rights to use it. (Wave it at anyone whenever you exit!)

• Greetings, to "Brains from Thunderbirds"...(!)

I must say that I am not certain as to why I reply to this... but I support what you say and Mr.Robert123s answer. However, this is my own experience...

From Schooldays, I had built up an aversion to using "public/communal" toilets. Nowadays, I use the toilet before going out, and "hold it", until returning to a safe place again...!

You are totally correct about "Disabled" Toilets... spacious, cleaner (-ish), "more pleasant"... I use these when I can find them, and it is indeed all of that - compared to "normal" toilets...

(And as I type this, another answer has said what I was about to say - do not eat or drink while being away from a safe "toileting" area!)

...Finally, I say, do not be embarrassed or reluctant, for two reasons: 1- you are not the only "not in a wheelchair person" who does this. Just sit outside and you shall see (!). And 2 - ...You say that you have a National Radar Key Scheme... you yourself must have qualified for it, and so you are perfectly within your rights to use it. (Wave it at anyone whenever you exit!)

Children
No Data