PIP Application - Diagnosed ASD1

Hello Everyone,

I am just about to submit at PIP application form.

I am physically disabled with failed back surgery and chronic pain, but also have diagnoses of ASD1, ADHD Combined Type and Bipolar 2. 

I have completed the forms using the guidance provided, but was looking to gain comfort on how my Asperger's will be handled by the Assessors.

I have heard things that I do not like from other people experiences, but was wondering if anybody had anything positive to offer and to make the whole process less stressful.

Thanks

Parents
  • Hi Music For The Mind,

You may have already seen this - apologies if so - but there is a page here on the NAS site about PIP which you can view here: http://www.autism.org.uk/pip

You can see a checklist of all the criteria that is used when making a PIP assessment, or scroll down to the bottom of the page for a link to the actual PIP assessment guide used by the government - although it's quite a dense technical policy document, it may be of interest if you're looking for more information about the process.

Additionally, although you haven't had your assessment yet, it might be worth looking over the page on challenging a PIP decision - http://www.autism.org.uk/about/benefits-care/benefits/pip/challenging.aspx - in the event that you disagree with the assessors and want to ask for reconsideration, which is your legal right. Hopefully that won't be necessary but the information is there if you need it.

Hope this is of some help,

Ross - mod

• That is so helpful Ross: I am so grateful.

I honestly think my ADHD and Asperger's are harder to live with than my physical disabilities.

I get completely overwhelmed by this PIP process, with having to read so many documents.

I cannot type due to nerve damage,  so I use a dictation programme on my computer.

I have just finsihed my answers and naturally, everything has to be perfectly formatted or I just cannot progress.

I fixate about the formatting and get sressed if it looks wrong.

The content is most likely OK, but there is sooooooooooooooo much of it:

I have answered everything perfectly honestly:

ADHD, Bipolar, Aspergers, failed spinal surgery and chronic pain whilst on morphine affects every second of my life.

I will take heart from today though:

I got a letter from the DWP just now asking me to submit my passport as proof of identity.

This caused one of my meltdowns, as I have a fear of people not believing me, and I  also thought it was a scam to get my passport.

However, I called the PIP Helpline and the lady seemed to understand.

I wonder if I should include that as an example.

Anyway, thanks for your help - It has made me feel better.

• I receive PIP. When I first applied I had a few misdiagnoses so my labels were BP, BPD and dyslexia. I received points in the reading and writing section because of the dyslexia as I need screen tinting software to be able to read black text on a white background. I also use speech-to-text software as I'm a slow typer. If you can hand in any independent evidence that backs up what your saying that will help. E.g OH reports, letters from your PDOC to your GP

Good luck

• I receive PIP. When I first applied I had a few misdiagnoses so my labels were BP, BPD and dyslexia. I received points in the reading and writing section because of the dyslexia as I need screen tinting software to be able to read black text on a white background. I also use speech-to-text software as I'm a slow typer. If you can hand in any independent evidence that backs up what your saying that will help. E.g OH reports, letters from your PDOC to your GP

Good luck

Children
  • That mostly sounds like visual stress, in which black text becomes distorted on white backgrounds. You might benefit from using screen tinting software and reading from a certain colour paper. The colour and it shade make a big difference so it's worth experimenting to find out what works best for you if you do have visual stress.

My Study Bar contains free screen tinting software that you could try - www.callscotland.org.uk/.../

• Thanks for that, mate.

I don't have a dyslexia diagnosis, but I might have it. I just put it down to ADHD, whereby the text just refuses to go into my brain, no matter how hard I try. Plus, I also always lose my place on the paragraph.I do not missee words, but text does seem to bouce round on the page. Do you think that sounds like dyslexia and should I try and get a diagnosis? Could you recommend how? 

Thanks again for the reply.