Refused treatment

Has anyone here been refused NHS medical treatment? For any reason.

I've only been refused treatment  twice.

Would people like to share their experiences?

Parents
  • I've been refused NHS medical treatment twice, on each occasion I was told I wasn't old enough (in my 40's) to have the procedures I'd enquired about, which seems ridiculous to me.   

On another occasion I was refused NHS dental treatment because the crowns I enquired about were considered purely cosmetic and so not necessary for my dental health. Fair enough, I think, on that occasion. 

Generally speaking I don't believe everything a Doctor tells me, they do make mistakes. They seem to only want to give out drugs anyway and I usually have to explain that I don't want pills but was asking for useful, constructive advice. That's after I've had to fill them in on the pertinent parts of my medical history that they haven't bothered their ass to read before I arrived.     

• I find them helpful in their own way and I’m grateful to them for the times I do turn to them but they know next to nothing about good health and that’s more of what I’m interested in, not pathologising every little ache or pain or situation I have and making it into a fixed illness or condition and then giving me drugs or surgery.  But they’re ok for routine things like blood tests and I have a little obsession with getting my blood pressure taken, not for the numbers, but just because I like it so they’re good for that, you can usually get em to whip it out and do a little test on you  but you can also go to a chemist and get it done for free, whenever you want. It’s such a treat. I travel around the world getting my blood pressure taken. My friend wants to do a YouTube channel on me and my blood pressure obsession lol! 

• I find them helpful in their own way and I’m grateful to them for the times I do turn to them but they know next to nothing about good health and that’s more of what I’m interested in, not pathologising every little ache or pain or situation I have and making it into a fixed illness or condition and then giving me drugs or surgery.  But they’re ok for routine things like blood tests and I have a little obsession with getting my blood pressure taken, not for the numbers, but just because I like it so they’re good for that, you can usually get em to whip it out and do a little test on you  but you can also go to a chemist and get it done for free, whenever you want. It’s such a treat. I travel around the world getting my blood pressure taken. My friend wants to do a YouTube channel on me and my blood pressure obsession lol! 

Children
  • It’s weird, but I kind of get the tingles (AMSR) when I got to the doctors and especially when I get the blood pressure taken but admittedly, it’s not the same with all doctors and generally, I am in and out of there as quick as I can. 

I was the same as you with my son, I trusted my instincts, which is definitely not easy when surrounded by a world that believes doctors are god, they know best, you should do what the doctor says etc etc, it was really hard but I reckon a lot of our confidence probably came from those times because thinking about it now, we were very brave to go against medical advice, aka, go against the world, which is almost akin to killing a baby kitten in front of a classroom full of primary school kids or something. I’d love to have my time with my son all over again and this time I would own my confidence because we were very very brave, without even realising it, we were probably too busy worrying and caring for the kids to even notice such a thing. 

• Yes, they are keen on their little labels aren't they? My youngest daughter was diagnosed with Asthma at about 18-months old and I said to the Doctor there and then that he was wrong - he didn't appreciate that so we just refused to see him again. She's a teenager now and has never had an asthma attack or any breathing difficulties since then. She hardly ever even gets colds. Go figure! 

A Health Visitor said my older daughter, at about 3 or 4 years old, had ADHD. Again I disagreed and I still stand by that. She was just an energetic, bouncy determined little kid who (it later turned out) had hearing problems (glue ear) and wasn't actually hearing instructions because she often couldn't see the face of the person speaking to her.  

I'm so glad I trusted my instincts with my children but at the time I did worry (a lot) in case I was doing the wrong thing because I'm not a Doctor, I just 'felt' that what they were saying didn't fit my children somehow.

I'm not too keen on having my blood pressure taken. I don't mind the process so much (similarly with injections or having blood taken) but the part I hate is having the nurse / doctor in my space and touching me. It just makes my skin crawl. I hate being examined and avoid it at all costs.