Refused treatment

Has anyone here been refused NHS medical treatment? For any reason.

I've only been refused treatment  twice.

Would people like to share their experiences?

Parents
  • I was refused to have any scans when I was pregnant, that the nhs normally do for pregnant mothers. Apparently I kicked off at one appointment, well not apparently, I did kick off, so they told me to leave and never come back again! lol! Which suited me as I’m not really into going to doctors and hospitals anyway, not when there’s something wrong with me anyway, I’d rather deal with that myself. And I wasn’t that fussed at seeing the baby on a scan anyway, I could feel it inside me and that was good enough for me. I don’t think I’ve been refused any other treatment but I have refused their treatment. The hospital once wanted to take out my gall bladder I think it is, as they said I was having gallstone problems. I said no thank you, I’m good to go, you can leave my body parts in tact and I’ll deal with this myself, and I did. Oh, I also refuse these things they keep sending letters out to me about, for scans and mammograms or something and health checks to see if I’m at risk of heart attack etc???? I nearly fell through the floor laughing when they invited me for that particular check!!! Oh yeah right, I’ll come to you, you tell me I’m at risk and then what?!?!? I don’t understand it, they know nothing about health only illness so if they think I’m at risk of a health problem, what in hell could they possibly do about it, other than try and fill me with dread and fear which is guaranteed to bring the risk into a reality. They don’t study health they study illness, so they don’t know how to heal the body, only patch it up which is sometimes helpful, but not in the long run. 

• I was refused to have any scans when I was pregnant, that the nhs normally do for pregnant mothers. Apparently I kicked off at one appointment, well not apparently, I did kick off, so they told me to leave and never come back again! lol! Which suited me as I’m not really into going to doctors and hospitals anyway, not when there’s something wrong with me anyway, I’d rather deal with that myself. And I wasn’t that fussed at seeing the baby on a scan anyway, I could feel it inside me and that was good enough for me. I don’t think I’ve been refused any other treatment but I have refused their treatment. The hospital once wanted to take out my gall bladder I think it is, as they said I was having gallstone problems. I said no thank you, I’m good to go, you can leave my body parts in tact and I’ll deal with this myself, and I did. Oh, I also refuse these things they keep sending letters out to me about, for scans and mammograms or something and health checks to see if I’m at risk of heart attack etc???? I nearly fell through the floor laughing when they invited me for that particular check!!! Oh yeah right, I’ll come to you, you tell me I’m at risk and then what?!?!? I don’t understand it, they know nothing about health only illness so if they think I’m at risk of a health problem, what in hell could they possibly do about it, other than try and fill me with dread and fear which is guaranteed to bring the risk into a reality. They don’t study health they study illness, so they don’t know how to heal the body, only patch it up which is sometimes helpful, but not in the long run. 

Children
  • Interesting experience and opinions.

My first refusal was when I was 18.  I tried to register with my local Dentist.  I hadn't seen a dentist for about 5 years.  Last one was a check-up at school which led to a filling.

Now my teeth were very bad and decaying.  I had had an accident while eating chicken wings and the chicken wing bone had gone straight through one of my rotten teeth into my gums.  Pain was awful.

I went to my  local Dentist.  He had a brief look and refused to either treat me or take me on as a patient.

Next day I went to a different dentist.  He made an appointment for me with the local dental hospital. Where I had 5 teeth removed under general anesthetic.

Second refusal was in Manchester.  I had started a new job and moved.  But I was still registered with a GP in Birmingham.  I fell very ill with a recurring ear infection.  Pain was terrible, I felt like someone was jamming a sharp pencil down my ears. I had a very high temperature and was coughing flem with blood.  

I went to the local medical centre and asked to see a doctor.  They made excuses such as I had to register and see practice manager first. After waiting for over an hour they said she is away and unavailable today etc etc.  I must have spent over 3 hours in their waiting room , shivering feverish etc etc.  Half sitting then laying on the floor in agony.  Eventually I went home (about 5 minutes away).

Next day I struggled to the next medical centre.  Where I saw a doctor and complained about my treatment at the other  place.  They explained that that new medical center was oversubscribed and would only accept families with children.  Not single adults.  And this area had a high drug problem.  So they don't want problem patients.