I hate funerals

Is it just me and my specific bad personal experiences of funerals.  Or do people dislike funerals in general ?

For me the whole experience leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

From being invited,. By people I haven't met in years.  The two faced comments by neighbors, the social interaction at the funeral and the list goes on and on.

I will write specific details after breakfast.

Parents
  • I just don't really understand them. I mean, by that point the person in question has gone. I would rather remember them than remember a bunch of people standing around a box .... yeah, often being two-faced. That has nothing to do with the person who has gone. For me the people who have left this world before me are just "in the next room" and I think of them often, but as they were when they were in this room with me.

• I just don't really understand them. I mean, by that point the person in question has gone. I would rather remember them than remember a bunch of people standing around a box .... yeah, often being two-faced. That has nothing to do with the person who has gone. For me the people who have left this world before me are just "in the next room" and I think of them often, but as they were when they were in this room with me.

Children
  • The best part of my mum's funeral - if you can refer to a 'best part' - was the night before.  I arranged (against my brother's wishes) for mum to be returned to her home that night, so that her neighbours could come in and pay their last respects.  Also, I stayed there with her that night, keeping vigil.  So it was just me, alone, with this most special person in my life.  I even read to her, as I used to as a kid.  By contrast, the next day just felt awkward and embarrassing.  And here were people who hadn't even seen mum or phoned her for years.  It all felt like a stage show - false, put on... and an excuse for people to drink afterwards.  The 'right' people (those I liked, and whom most of the others didn't) came up to me afterwards and acknowledged what I'd done in caring for mum during her last months.  The others didn't even mention it, or even talk to me much - though I tried my hardest to be social, as they 'expected.'