Snow!

We so rarely get it in my corner of south-east England.  This morning, we've a real blizzard!  I can't go to work because the day centre's shut with the weather.

So... I've been out and taken some photos...

Parents
  • Meanwhile, I'm in touch with people in Europe who've had over 3 metres of snow - and society is still functioning.  My friend out on the Canadian prairies, who's in her 80s and disabled, puts up with over 6 months of it - digging herself out, driving to town, carrying on as normal.

Trouble is, it's so unpredictable here.  We don't get it for years... then we get a load dumped on us.  The councils don't hedge their bets that way.  So they're unprepared.

• Trouble? Really? I love it and I love it even more when I have a job and you can’t go in because it would take too long to navigate the journey there! Lol! A day in bed or in the snow is always more fun when you feel like it’s a naughty treat because you would normally be in work. 

Your friend sounds wonderful. She must like it a little bit though, surely, to stay there all that time, unless she just didn’t realise she could leave or there is something more compelling there for her there. I can’t wait to go to Canada and experience one of their winters. It sounds so exciting coming from England when we are lucky enough to be showered with it only occasionally and never like they get it in some parts of Canada. It sounds wonderful and keeps you fit and well by the sounds of it. 

• Trouble? Really? I love it and I love it even more when I have a job and you can’t go in because it would take too long to navigate the journey there! Lol! A day in bed or in the snow is always more fun when you feel like it’s a naughty treat because you would normally be in work. 

Your friend sounds wonderful. She must like it a little bit though, surely, to stay there all that time, unless she just didn’t realise she could leave or there is something more compelling there for her there. I can’t wait to go to Canada and experience one of their winters. It sounds so exciting coming from England when we are lucky enough to be showered with it only occasionally and never like they get it in some parts of Canada. It sounds wonderful and keeps you fit and well by the sounds of it. 

Children
  • Divine, so exciting, I would be positively awash with love driving through that every day. I love driving, that’s one reason why I’m moving into a van but that would be really special and I would get to do it every day ~ heaven Sparkling heart

• Yes... but I think her disabilities are making it harder and harder for her.  She lives 12 miles away from the nearest shop, on a settlement of about 200 people.  On really bad days, when she can't dig herself out to get outside, she really suffers.  Again, though - they're hardy people, and can take it.

• I would love it and I doubt I would go to Canada for less than 6 months. I love the cold, I’m known for not wearing coats or jumpers and I would love to spend my days digging my way out of my house in the snow. I love physical exercise and prefer that type of exercise over going to the gym and it would be glorious to have a purpose to be outside in the cold and the snow, feeling and experiencing nature. I love it when my face is so cold I can’t feel it but my feet and hands and my head is warm. I bet she’s got a real fire as well. Divine. 

• But imagine waking up to this for six solid months and thinking 'Hm... I have a 20-mile drive to work.'

• Believe me!  A few days, or a couple of weeks... yes, it's fun.  For half a year, less so.  But it's what you're acclimatised to.  I don't think I'd mind it too much.