New Book

Since finishing my book about my time with mum during her final months, I've been a bit lost.  I've needed something else to write, but I haven't had a subject.

This afternoon, I went for a walk along the seafront... and it came to me.  I'm going to write a short book about being an Aspie.  Nothing original, maybe... but I think I can put some new stuff in there.  I want to make it light-hearted, too.  Maybe use it as a way of focusing on the areas where NTs really need to be paying more attention.

It'll just be about life as it is, and as it happens.  And hopefully the laughs will trigger a bit of thinking, too.

Parents
  • Great stuff!

For me, there's a distinct lack of literature and resources available for late-diagnosed adults. If you're a kid with Autism nowadays, great - as there are all sorts of books for your parents, as well as support groups. But an adult? Forget it! So, anything you can do to redress the balance can only be a good thing.

For me personally, I'd like to see three types of books gain popularity:

1) Books written by (late-diagnosed) autistic for other autistic adults. Of the books I have seen, these seem written by unusual Aspies who have gained success in various forms, and are already established scientists, counsellors, corporate executives or professional lecturers etc. They write in a way that sorta says "well I managed to be successful and an Autistic, and so should you." I've found them quite naïve, as they seldom recognise that they're the exception-to-the-rule, and the rest of us Autistics haven't been so lucky to be blessed with supportive family or finding a niche within an industry to flourish within. Rather, they seem to miss the point as to just how hostile the modern world can be for Autistics, and no amount of positive affirmations or context-specific flukery is going to change that.

In essence, I want a book written by a not-too-successful Aspie, who's merely a bit further down the road than I am - who can offer actual meaningful, realistic and above all practical advice on how to make life as an Aspie that little bit better.

2) A book entitled summit like "A Neurotypical's Guide to Understanding Autistic Adults". I'm guessing the Neurotypicals could benefit from a 'how to' guide written by an actual adult autistic on how to interact with our lot.

3) A book called, "The Rules to Being Autistic". Since being diagnosed a year ago, I've only discovered the first two rules to being Autistic. So, it'd be really helpful if a (late-diagnosed) adult Autistic with more experience than me could just write clear-cut rules down in an accessible instruction manual. Nothing too much to ask!

• A book called, "The Rules to Being Autistic". Since being diagnosed a year ago, I've only discovered the first two rules to being Autistic. So, it'd be really helpful if a (late-diagnosed) adult Autistic with more experience than me could just write clear-cut rules down in an accessible instruction manual. Nothing too much to ask!

I'm a bit puzzled, Evan.  Rules?  What rules?  Which are the two you've discovered? 

Reply Children
No Data