"Neurotypical people have no imagination... and you're no exception."

"I'm being serious.  Don't treat everything like a joke."

"But you have no sense of humour."

"Why aren't you doing it this way?"

"But you seem unfriendly enough."

"I haven't started speaking yet."

"My friend was neurotypical, but he managed to get over it eventually."

"Are you sure you're normal?"

• That’s a great article DongFeng, thank you. It is basically saying that gallows humour is a good thing, although it’s generally only funny to those using it. And without realising it, it can be both funny, and inadvertently offensive to some people. Although there was never any bad intenetion. 

This is my kind of humour but I don’t want anybody to get upset over it. I think it would be better if those who don’t enjoy it, don’t read it. That way nobody gets upset and those who enjoy it reap the benefits it gives. 

Please Tom and Ellie, don’t leave. 

• That would be a sad day, Tom. 

I refrained from posting overnight whilst I let my subconscious process the evening's exchanges. 

And I think I can now offer some material by way of an answer. 

It is well known that nurses and first responders often tell the most nauseating and repugnant jokes, and yet they are some of the most dedicated, courageous and caring folk around. How can we understand this apparent dichotomy?

http://www.foxywinepocket.com/2014/07/10/darkhumor/ Says it better than I ever could. 

• I have not changed my user name but I have changed my picture, it depends on my state of mind, if I am feeling very low at rock bottom I may chose something black or just leave it blank,

Changing or deleting ones name can often mean that person is feeling very-low, May need support, or is feeling hurt by the way they are being spoken about.

A sudden change is never a good sign, it is good that friendly caring people understand and give help and support when it happens,

I am sure Tom understands how little things can seem major when we are feeling very anxious or low.

• I didn't know you could change your name on here? I guess the one I've chosen is as good as any though, I didn't really put much thought into it as I just wanted to get onto the forum. 

• I can’t imagine why someone would change their name? Then delete It? And then reinstate It?

maybe they do that as a call for help or understanding?

• I know that you are joking... but knowing that is part of being ASD!

Just before signing off, I should correct what I meant -seriously, still - ...was that knowing and/or being confused by joking... is a part of ASD. It does not matter what the jokes are about. Joking about NTs or ASDs is confusing to both, I should think. Yet this Thread, I say again, said that it was uncommon Joking about NTs, and, well, I am being serious upon it, and, so, well... at least I Posted what I did and that is that. Fair Play to all, here...!

• Love it! It's about time we started turning it back on NT's 

I'm definitely going to try out some of these :)

• Some people are apparently neurodiverse, so they don't get jokes.

... I think, given the Topic of this Thread, that you are still writing in a reversed-terms manner, and so ND means NT... and if my Post here (this one) is understood, then the original intent can only be carried so far and with regards to certain casual remarks it may be "backfiring"... or something. I know that you are joking... but knowing that is part of being ASD! And I *mean* ASD and not the reversed-terms I am saying here...

Comedy Writing is a serious business - and that is not a joke! But I still like this Thread. Else I would not have Posted all of those Links there, to inform all who may read it that this sort of humour is not an isolated thing...

Lastly... I hope my writing hasn't terminated this Thread. And I am not P*ssed, either... but I *will* be P*ssed-Off if I have Terminated a Thread yet again...(!)

• Oh no, It is ME! Joining in to perhaps support Mr. Math and Miss Nasally-Enhanced... and Rainbow-Daisy...

I also cannot tell if the last Post (From Martian Tom) is further joking or not? Joking was stated from the very beginning, was it not? Yet I may add some perspective which might not be known to all.

Simply enter: NEUROTYPICAL SYNDROME into your Browsers, and a lot of this sort of thing may turn up. In closing, I am going to flood this Post with LINKS:

Neurotypical Syndrome

www.quora.com/What-is-neurotypical-syndrome

www.thestonkingsteps.com/.../

www.neurotypical.com/.../page1.html

emmashopebook.com/.../

...Not suitable for under 15s due to language is:
    uncyclopedia.wikia.com/.../Neurotypical_syndrome

Have a nice time.

• many people here are so serious and sensitive.

Yes.  Bless 'em.  As if they're the only ones affected by a lifetime of being misunderstood and abused.

• I enjoyed reading this thread, without actually joining in.

You did not go into the real gutter.  Other gutters are much deeper.

A bit of light hearted relief is welcome.  Since many people here are so serious and sensitive.

• Not you, mate.  No need to apologise.  I apologise for dragging things into the gutter in this way.

• If I've written anything to upset you. Then I apologise.

• In the interests of not allowing these forums to sink any further, and because I'm clearly not as kind, honest, helpful, caring and brilliant as I'm expected to be, I've decided to take my leave.

Good luck, everyone.  It's been good to know you all.

See you around.

• Actually, I also think it's excusable to have a little light relief at the expense of people who've given me a lifetime of grief.  People can think it's malicious if they want to.  I prefer to think of it as just letting off a little bit of steam and having a laugh back.  And perhaps showing that we aren't bowed by the treatment we've received.

Can't please everyone, though.  Hasn't life showed us that?

• I guess we have a sense of humour, too.

• I’m not pissed, I just find this kind of humour hilarious. Or is that comment supposed to be sarcastic! I don’t usually get sarcasm so it could be. I think. 

I don’t make such a distinction between ‘us’ and ‘them’, only for ease of conversation. But this is definitely my kind of humour. But it is said in humour, it’s not serious. However, of course when you’re not feeling much joy inside, and I don’t mean that lightly, it could be taken a different way. Or it could just be that this is not everyone’s idea of humour. Who knows what it is, but it made me laugh. But what do I know. I’m happily writing about friendship, in between watching Shirley Temple films, learning French from an ap and playing mind games on luminosity. While taking moments to pause to enjoy my good thoughts. Oh, as well as watching weird things on YouTube such as the weirdest actors. Lol! 

• Look after yourself Spotty XX miss you lots 

• I don't think any one means any harm Ellie, and you are obviously feeling very sensitive still, but to be honest, this thread leaves me a little cold too.

The kindness is still here Ellie and I miss you. xx