The most difficult and troublesome school subjects for students with ASD

Has the NAS carried out any research into what the most difficult and troublesome subjects are in secondary schools for students with ASD, and why?

Parents
  • PE due to lack of coordination and complete lack of interest in competitive sports. However I quite enjoyed cross country running. I also hated German, again because of lack of ability, coupled with having a teacher who made us stand up in class and read stuff out. Still, at least my pronunciation gave everyone a laugh.

Favourite subject was Biology, I have always been interested in nature. Didn't really enjoy having to dissect a cow's eyeball, though.

• A friend told me that one of his classmates failed (got an X grade in) his biology GCSE for refusing to dissect a dead rat that was pregnant as it was a coursework assignment. It was not possible to pass the GCSE without it.

• A friend told me that one of his classmates failed (got an X grade in) his biology GCSE for refusing to dissect a dead rat that was pregnant as it was a coursework assignment. It was not possible to pass the GCSE without it.

Children
  • I dont think dissections should be required. Or any lab dealing with hurting a living creature. In bio last year, we got these microscopic organisms and I thought they were funny, they rolled around and were cute. Then the teacher had us put this liquid on the slide and write and draw what we observed. The little things started going crazy at first but soon they barely moved and were just twitching until eventually they died... Kids in the class were laughing but I was just staring at them, horrified that I was witnessing them in pain and couldnt even do anything to help, and it was my own fault too. Another lab when we had microscopic organisms, people were squishing and throwing them away when they were done, I put mine back in the water, I dont know if they survived but at least I didnt throw them away. I think people dont think about them as getting hurt because they are so small and the teacher can just buy more, but I hate it.