Have Just been diagnosed with High Functioning Asperges

I am a 24 year old female that was recently diagnosed with asperges I feel the diagnosis has made me doubt my self doubt my intelligence and feel so lost. I am at a point where I want to have a career but I can't even handle applying for university. Everything affects me so easily and any minor setback can push me back 100 steps. I want to pursue my dream and be a teacher one day but I am suffering from a lot of anxiety and stress and dont have the family support. I am so scared of waking up one day and feeling like my life has been wasted. I do feel like this disorder is a curse in a lot of ways as it affects so much of my life. I would like to get married and have children and have the career like any other person I just don't know how to take the first steps. Can anyone give any tips or advice or share your own experiences. 

Thanks

• Thanks Marie. I’m not having an easy time of it just now, but at least I’m not enmeshed in it all so deeply that I can’t see what’s happening.  I was in it deep, last weekend when it first hit me, but with all the new awareness and support etc, I can actually see clearly what’s happening and that’s priceless ~ so although I’m not feeling the joy of it yet, I know I will. I’m happy to be with whatever is happening 

• Hi blue ray glad it helped keep going best wishes to you

• I know this message was intended for somebody else, but it spoke to me and was exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you Pray tone3 

• Hi rose I’m the mum of a 22 year old son with aspergers ; just like you he has had his problems and struggled ,it’s been baby steps with everything ,I’m sorry you don’t have family support do you have any friends who could help and support you? Don’t doubt yourself try to do one positive thing each day ,if your dream is to be a teacher then hang on to that ,don’t give up sweetheart ,everyone needs a dream and a goal and you can do this ,my son Johnny was diagnosed with aspergers when he was six he has high function aspergers ,of course it’s been difficult ,at sixteen he was ready to give up he too saw no future ,now at 22 he is working full time ,getting engaged and saving for house ,dreams can come true don’t give up I know it’s hard ,someone will come into your life who will love you for you ,so stay strong ,keep going,sending you a hug ,read this then smile pick up your pen and fill in your application for university you CAN DO It. Best wishes marie

• ... add inspirational to your list of talents and gifts cricketer, that Point up tone3 was wonderful to read. Thank you Pray tone3 

• Hi Rose just read your post.Firstly a diagnosis of Aspergers is usually of those with a higher IQ. While it is classed as a disability, look it another way, it's not what we can't do is what we can do that others can't and believe me it is a lot, look at those who have Aspergers or thought to have, Bill Gates Michael Palin Mozart, Enstein.I was diagnosed with Aspergers two years ago at 62 and have had a fantastic life, although difficult lots of times,married at 42 to my only girlfriend, have three lovely children  with Autism and they are all very talented in their own way, my daughter has High Functioning Autism and has had a very difficult childhood by now doing well and looking to go to University.All the best for the future.

• Yeah! It does feel like that too, especially as my diagnosis has come just as the kids have grown up! Maybe I should buy myself a red sports car with 'Aspie' written on the side (Or is it just men who do the sports car thing?). 

• Asperger's is just my latest instalment of growing pains!    

....and my mid-life crisis.! Laughing 

• Hi. 

I went to University, studied Law and did a post grad.  I am going to start the process now, but my AQ results are 41.  

The only advice i can give you is take baby steps.  Email, ring Uni’s and find out what support they offer to those with Aspergers. 

Once you have done that, arrange to go and visit them.  If you can’t go on an Open Day, ask if you can go on a normal day.  Ask to meet and see their support services and Halls if residence.

When you are ready, make your application.   Plan your Personal Statement and then write it.

Then apply.  Once you apply wait for the offers.  You don’t have to accept them.

Remember baby steps. 

Regards

Matthew

• Oh yes I have done this for my whole life. I am my own worst enemy and biggest critique and yeah it probably isnt healthy to compare myself to others. I think when I learn to fully accept and love myself this will change. I still have so much to learn about myself I think the diagnosis hit home for me that I can be nice to myself more 

• Hi, just a thought I instantly had reading your post. Not saying that it can just easily be switched off, but comparing yourself to others ("like any other person") is probably not a thought doing you much good. Plus not any other person actually does achieve those things. Of course others compare you constantly to other people or themselves, and if you differ from what they see as the ideal they may make you feel bad for it, it's not good for anybody. Your life won't be wasted only because it doesn't run like other people's lives. Wanting to marry because you have a partner you love is great of course, but there's nothing wrong if you don't do it either. Guess wanting to become a teacher it's likely that you love kids, but try not to start believing you are a failure if that doesn't happen (yet). Family can be awful when it comes to this, hope yours isn't too bad.

Anyway, think it's best to aim for what we think is good for us, not what other people have and do or think we should achieve. Sometimes I believe if I accept myself others will too, but often it seems that's a bit of wishful thinking. Doesn't mean accepting ourselves is wrong though.

• It is interesting that pyschiatrists can't even give a definitive answer of what causes it clearly needs a lot more research considering the absolute crazy numbers of children and adults being diagnosed all over the world at increasing rates. I've read a lot to do with genetics that play a huge role but like all of these conditions, I know they refuse to correlate injections with autism but I challenge that as in they make the pre existing comditon worse at a minimum 

• I chose not to read the full diagnostic report doesn't seem healthy for me to do. I know things will be somewhat harder and I am prepared for the struggle I guess. Thank you for the kind words!

• Hi there,

Autism is a disability, so we are not as good as some things as other people to start with. We may find things more difficult than others, such as social interaction. But does that mean that we aren't ever able to? Does that mean that these things are impossible? No! You are able to achieve anything you like despite of this diagnosis - you may have to work harder to get that thing, but it can be done! Don't let a few words on a piece of paper stop you from realising your dreams!x

Much love <3

• Yes, I read that it was planned to scrap the term 'Asperger's' but I'm not sure I agree with the planned change. As you said, it's hard enough already to find enough information that's relate-able without having to search through the whole of the autistic spectrum. I guess there's a good reason for the change and I suppose it doesn't really matter what it's called as long as, hopefully, the diagnostic elements are becoming ever more precise. From what I've gathered so far the main indicator seems to be something to do with having too much testosterone in the womb - i.e the whole 'male brain theory' (Simon Baron-Cohen). It's interesting reading up on research into ASD and its causes and I think he and Tony Attwood seem to be the best place to start but I'm still waiting on the arrival of the books! Maybe Paul Ekman too.  

• Oh okay that's great! I feel like i would have been doing what your daughter is if someone gave me the support and diagnoses at a younger age I would be finishing my degree and going out in the world. Yes it is a lot to figure out but we are meant to be this way for a reason. It is all very complex still. The pyschiatrist I saw also said that like in america the term "asperges" will be scrapped soon and that asperges will be listed as on the autistic spectrum which is all even more confusing when you are actually making research in to what this actually is!

• Thank you :) but my 'baby' is now 24, like you, and just reaching the end of her own university studies! (She also has two younger siblings now.) My Asperger's, on the other hand, is a very new diagnosis so I'm at the same stage as you in that I too am still working out what that means. I think that no matter what age we are, we're constantly discovering new things about ourselves and I believe that's a good thing overall. Challenging, for sure, but ultimately it's what helps us grow. Asperger's is just my latest instalment of growing pains!    

• Hello thank you so much for the kind words. Yes I hope that I can get some support and make changes right now I just have myself I live with my father but I am looking to move out and live independently hopefully will get support with this. There is so much in my head right now consuming me making sleep inpossible. Challenging times but I hope to get a grip on everything. I have a lot of days I don't leave the house too but it has affected me dramtically. I hope to use this diagnosis as a positive and it is good to read the forums and realise a lot of us are similar. Hope you have a great day ahead 

• Hi Thanks for the response yes I think you are right it is about acceptance and not realising I have not changed as a person however it is still a lot to take in and It isn't going to be easy. And congrats on being a mum it gives me hope that I can too be a mother eventually one day I just have to work on myself and find who I am as a person. 

• I don't think you need to doubt your intelligence or any other aspect of 'You'. Having Asperger's doesn't make your intelligence, or any other aspect of 'You', less REAL. You are intelligent AND you have Asperger's AND you have life ambitions, career ambitions, fears, and hopes just like anyone else. 

Olympic athletes aren't born the perfect physical specimens we see winning medals, architects aren't born with the skills to design their ideal home, you weren't born with the knowledge to get this far in your education. Each of you WERE born with a genetic make-up that made these things POSSIBLE but each of you have worked HARD to build upon that and make use of it and turn it into something that you aspire to. Just because your particular genetic make-up equals Asperger's too, that doesn't make it less real, or viable, or honest than anyone else's, just as we don't minimise the athletes or the architects achievements as 'genetic flukes'. Your intelligence is just as real as anyone else's! 

Yes, there are aspects of Asperger's that can feel like a curse at times, but there are aspects of being anything that feel like that: a Mum, a woman, a social worker, a teacher, a single person or a married person! I think you may already know all of this but, as BlueRay said, it definitely takes time to acclimatise after the diagnosis. Everything feels a bit, well, wobbly for a while. I think it's natural to be shaken by the news, even if you were expecting it, I certainly was / am and I'm still getting used to the idea but what I'm holding onto is that I'm most definitely still me! (For good and bad.)

Actually, after a nine month pregnancy, I still remember being shaken by the news that I had an actual baby! That I was a MUM!! I think any big change in how we see ourselves is going to take time to adjust to but it IS just that - how we SEE ourselves. You, in fact, haven't actually changed at all. It turns out I managed to be 'Me' and 'Mum'. I think we'll each figure out how to be 'Me' and 'Asperger's' much easier because we've actually been doing it all this time without knowing it! 

I hope this helps.