Daily experience of an autistic

My Universal Credit, work coach referred me  to learndirect for a week long customer care course.

Yesterday I had my interview.

A lot of form filling, name, address, phone no. Email, national insurance, next of kin phone, etc etc etc.

Q...  What is my ideal job?

What job I would refuse to do?

Any disabilities ???????

Around 10 Q about my style of learning. Multiple choice with 3 choices.

Formal face to face interview.

A Maths test. 

Place four numbers in order from lowest to highest?  

Someone spends £10 a week on travel.  How much will he spend on travel in four weeks?  Show all workings.

Etc

An English test.

Circle wrongly spelt words.

Add Capitals and full stops to a sentence.

Identify a verb in a sentence.  They even explained that a verb is an action or doing word.   

Week long course starts on Monday 29th Jan.

Parents
  • Did you answer 'Yes' to 'Any disabilities?'  I always do now.

• I was wondering about whether I should now answer yes or no to that question. I want to answer yes, so I guess I should! 

• I answered 'No' on my employers' medical questionnaire - but they already know I'm on the spectrum, and I explained that I answered 'No' because I don't like to think of it so much as a disability as a 'different ability'.  But that's a personal thing - and I'm confident that my employer (being an autism trust) will be understanding.  But in any other circumstance, I will answer 'Yes' in future.

• The social model of disability no longer sees a person as 'disabled' all their life.  That doesn't mean their 'disability' will go away, but a person may need less or no support at different times. The disability laws and benefits etc are to give people, as far as they can, equal opportunities and I know right now, I would consider myself disabled, under the social model of disability and therefore entitled to certain rights and protections as well as reasonable support. So I've kind of changed the way I see myself, in certain situations and in doing so, I have gained more confidence in who I am. I think I will probably always class myself as disabled until neurodiversity is accepted as an equal and we have a say in how we live our lives. So I guess I'll be ticking the disabled box from now on, if I come across that question. 

• The social model of disability no longer sees a person as 'disabled' all their life.  That doesn't mean their 'disability' will go away, but a person may need less or no support at different times. The disability laws and benefits etc are to give people, as far as they can, equal opportunities and I know right now, I would consider myself disabled, under the social model of disability and therefore entitled to certain rights and protections as well as reasonable support. So I've kind of changed the way I see myself, in certain situations and in doing so, I have gained more confidence in who I am. I think I will probably always class myself as disabled until neurodiversity is accepted as an equal and we have a say in how we live our lives. So I guess I'll be ticking the disabled box from now on, if I come across that question. 

Children
No Data