Parents
  • BlueRay, I am horrified at the school’s signing in approach. I’m heavily involved as a Governor at 2 primary schools and in both registration is done by the class teacher. I would not expect a child (especially not at primary age) to sign themselves in on a legal document. In both schools, if you are late you need to go via the office and explain to staff  your reason and record it inthe Late Book. This book is monitored to see if it’s a one off (car got stuck in mud, wouldn’t start) or a pattern (overslept as parent can’t function in the morning and kids organise themselves).

• Hi Bonniepurple, the signing in thing is in the reception area, so I’m guessing they take a register in the classroom with the teacher. They only go into class via the office if they’re late. I fully understand and accept them keeping a record of lateness, with the intention of being able to spot patterns of lateness etc then provide support/assistance or whatever if needs be. If they had asked me in the office when we got there, why the kids were late, I would have been more inclined to discuss it. That way we could discuss it out of the ear shot of the children and in privacy. The teacher or office worker could have explained to me why they keep the record and I would have felt better at dropping the kids off late because I had had a chance to talk to somebody about it and the child wouldn’t have felt so anxious. When my son was at the same primary school, 20 odd years ago, if the child was late, you went to the office but you would be met with a staff member, personally, who knew you etc, they would make sure the child was ok and got to their classroom ok etc, they would give me reassurance if I was stressed out about getting there late or they would talk if I needed to talk. Now, it feels so impersonal, cold and uncaring, so robotic and does nothing to help teach kids their responsibility about turning up on time. 

• Hi Bonniepurple, the signing in thing is in the reception area, so I’m guessing they take a register in the classroom with the teacher. They only go into class via the office if they’re late. I fully understand and accept them keeping a record of lateness, with the intention of being able to spot patterns of lateness etc then provide support/assistance or whatever if needs be. If they had asked me in the office when we got there, why the kids were late, I would have been more inclined to discuss it. That way we could discuss it out of the ear shot of the children and in privacy. The teacher or office worker could have explained to me why they keep the record and I would have felt better at dropping the kids off late because I had had a chance to talk to somebody about it and the child wouldn’t have felt so anxious. When my son was at the same primary school, 20 odd years ago, if the child was late, you went to the office but you would be met with a staff member, personally, who knew you etc, they would make sure the child was ok and got to their classroom ok etc, they would give me reassurance if I was stressed out about getting there late or they would talk if I needed to talk. Now, it feels so impersonal, cold and uncaring, so robotic and does nothing to help teach kids their responsibility about turning up on time. 

Children
No Data