Would you get your autism cured?

I have seen some people with autism answer this question online, “if there was a cure for autism, would you take it?”. For me I would definitely take it, some people might say that my autism is a part of me and that I shouldn’t change such a big part of me. But personally it’s a part that I don’t want to have, it causes so many challenges and problems in my life. I have a lot of problems in School and with other people, this has caused me to be a bit depressed at times. A lot of the time I don’t know how to deal with my emotions and that makes it even worse. This is just the start of my reasoning, so I would without hesitation take a cure. I am just curious who else would take a cure, and why or why not.

• Right on Trainspotter :-) I was talking to my friend at my autism group today while he was writing out stuff about trains. He’s an avid trainspotter, which I didn’t know about. He’s such an interesting guy. Autistic people are the only people I really find interesting and all of them interest me. I just love our diversity and the depth of our obsessions. I love how we talk. We have a shared language. I love how much we care for each other which is also like a silent invisible connection. Nt’s have a similar language and connection with each other, but honestly, they’re nowhere near as interesting and as fun as us lot. :-) 

• I wouldn't want a 'cure' for myself.  Why on earth would I want to be one of that very strange bunch of people, a Neurotypical?

There are some things some times that I don't like about being autistic, the anxiety mainly.  But I can put up with that.  

I enjoy being what I am.  My childish habits, my mind sometimes wandering into a fantasy land in a place only I know about, the thinking about a problem to solve it, my obsessions, the daft jokes I come up with, my randomness, enjoying things for what they are, enjoying my own company, solitude and the sounds of nature. 

So why would I want  a cure and be changed?

• Yes I would take it for the same reasons as you. ASD creates a lot of extra challenges in my life and has a terrible impact on my MH

• Good Evening to all.

I was going to post a longer answer (A NO)... but then I see that "connor9o9s" is not much above 15 Years old. The lowest limit for being upon this forum is apparently 16 Years old. But this Thread is giving interesting answers anyway. (My own answer is still a NO). 

• thank you but its my dna i dont want to change if i have to well then i will rebel i dont care what they say it makes me special and im happy

• No, I wouldn't want to be cured.

However, I would like to have been diagnosed as a child rather than a (physically) mature adult.  With the knowledge of a diagnosis, I suspect there are many things I would have done differently.

• I sometimes don't want to be me but I rarely want to be nt, so if there was a cure, and the cure made me nt, then no, I wouldn't want the cure. I like me, I'm not the problem, it's everyone else ;) not other aspies n autistics though, they're not a problem at all Smiley

• top answer, Thomas Meddings

• Because I am self diagnosed with Asperger's, and therefore can't be 100% certain I do have it, maybe I can't really add to this post. I have struggled socially throughout my life, and was bullied a lot as a child. If I had been asked then if I wanted it all taken away, the answer would have been a resounding yes. But ironically, perhaps, now I know I may be that way for a reason, I feel differently. I no longer feel the weight of frustration and shame. I don't think knowing about it earlier would have changed other people's behaviour towards me much, but it would have changed my attitude towards myself. So, in short, I wouldn't want to be made "normal" now, but I wish I had found out about autism earlier.

• no because it makes me well me so it rather keep my autistic side

• I'm a recently diagnosed Aspie and despite all the pain, loneliness and problems I've had over my 52 years the answer is definitely no. My reasons are pretty much as Ellie, Tom and Caretwo have already highlighted.

• Speaking for myself as someone with Asperger's, no.

I would, however, like to see improved (e.g. earlier) diagnoses (for children and adults) and better support for everyone diagnosed with autism (this includes more appropriate teaching methods for children). And, of course, I would like to see a greater general awareness and understanding of autism, along with a more suitable society (e.g. quieter) for people with autism.

• Erm... can I elect to stay as I am please and just cure ignorance :)

Ellie x

• No.  Despite the challenges it's given me throughout life - not as many as some with autism, but definitely more than most NTs - I wouldn't change the person I am and the person it's helped to make me.