Conspiracy theories

There are allegations that people with ASD are more prone to following conspiracy theories than the average Joe. How do you define a conspiracy theory?

Parents
  • Perhaps one of the major ones of recent years is one that I can't help myself but subscribe to.  9/11.  Too much that happened that day simply doesn't add up.  I'm not sure who was responsible... but when I read testimony from architects, structural engineers, demolition experts, munitions experts, air crash investigation engineers, scientists, police patrol men, firemen and countless others who've either investigated the disaster or were present on the day, I can't help but believe that the world was sold a lot of half-truths at best, and a huge bunch of lies at worst.

In the simplest terms, WTC 1 and 2 should never have collapsed in the way they did.  And WTC 7 should never have collapsed at all, considering the minimal amount of damage it suffered.  Come to that, 1 and 2 shouldn't have collapsed at all, either.  Even a fully-laden passenger airliner striking structures of their size and strength would be the equivalent of a high-velocity rifle bullet being fired into a fence post.  It might do considerable damage to the post... put it would remain standing!

But that's just my tuppence-worth on the subject....

Maybe one man's conspiracy theorist is another man's truth-seer!

• Where is the line drawn between an evidence based researcher and a conspiracy theorist?

If evidence based research reveals information that contradicts official sources or what the media is spouting then is a person who chooses to follow the evidence based research a conspiracy theorist?

The official narrative of 7/7 published by the Home Office and many news reports says that the alleged bombers took the 7:40 train to London. Independent research revealed that the 7:40 train was cancelled and this was public domain knowledge BEFORE the official report was published in 2006. Later video footage of Luton station was made public and a platform clock clearly shows that the alleged bombers DID NOT take the 7:40 train.

The official narrative has not been updated to take into account these findings.

• I think the word ‘conspiracy theory’ was created by the fbi to minimise the horrors that are committed daily, on the ordinary folk. 

• The earliest referenced use of 'conspiracy theory' in the OED is 1909 from The American Historical Review:
    The claim that Atchison was the originator of the repeal may be termed a recrudescence of the conspiracy theory first asserted by Colonel John A. Parker of Virginia in 1880.

The first referenced use of 'conspiracy theorist' in the OED is 1964 from the New Statesman:
    Conspiracy theorists will be disappointed by the absence of a dogmatic introduction.

• The earliest referenced use of 'conspiracy theory' in the OED is 1909 from The American Historical Review:
    The claim that Atchison was the originator of the repeal may be termed a recrudescence of the conspiracy theory first asserted by Colonel John A. Parker of Virginia in 1880.

The first referenced use of 'conspiracy theorist' in the OED is 1964 from the New Statesman:
    Conspiracy theorists will be disappointed by the absence of a dogmatic introduction.

Children
No Data