The Autistic Christian

Let me say from the start that I have a strong faith and although I’m willing to discuss it, I have not started this thread to try and evangelise anyone. Simply I’d like to discuss with other autistic Christians how they cope with church, other Christians and trying to resolve their head around everything.

Parents
  • Awesome.... Not many autistic people are religious. I'm not at all but would love to debate it with you. 

I just can't logically believe there is a god/s. To me it makes no sense to create imperfect life by design. Unless god isn't perfect & punishing all mankind for Adam&Eve mistake is like punishing you for WW1 warcrimes. You are innocent and were not alive but it's your fault anyway.... 

I'm not challenging your faith, just don't understand how to believe. 

18! //

.. +-! 

• Please tell me why you believe because I want to believe. 

• I agree with StephenHarris, but I wasn't brought up in the church. I was an atheist until the age of 24, and only set foot in a church then because I was having a personal crisis. A work colleague  (who I was shocked at the time to find was a Christian) invited me along. But while I was there I mixed with people who really believed, for the first time. In my family, no-one said "Jesus" except as a swear word.

Gradually I got to a point where I wanted to believe, but couldn't see how to. I could accept that Jesus probably existed, and was a great teacher, but not the Son of God. Then one day I had a "lightbulb" moment, when I realised that, if there really was a God who had had brought into being the whole universe, that the stuff about the virgin birth, the resurrection and the miracles was peanuts by comparison. The next Sunday, during the time of prayer, I prayed (silently) that if God was really there He would somehow show me, because I needed to know. Within seconds, I felt a sense of peace and calm come over me like I had never known, and I felt sure that it was God. I know that probably sounds a bit naff to an unbeliever, because it would have done to me before.

Regarding your earlier message, the best I can say is that people have been created with free will, and as such can (and do) make either good or bad (sometimes very bad) choices. But following the teachings of Jesus helps me personally.

• I agree with StephenHarris, but I wasn't brought up in the church. I was an atheist until the age of 24, and only set foot in a church then because I was having a personal crisis. A work colleague  (who I was shocked at the time to find was a Christian) invited me along. But while I was there I mixed with people who really believed, for the first time. In my family, no-one said "Jesus" except as a swear word.

Gradually I got to a point where I wanted to believe, but couldn't see how to. I could accept that Jesus probably existed, and was a great teacher, but not the Son of God. Then one day I had a "lightbulb" moment, when I realised that, if there really was a God who had had brought into being the whole universe, that the stuff about the virgin birth, the resurrection and the miracles was peanuts by comparison. The next Sunday, during the time of prayer, I prayed (silently) that if God was really there He would somehow show me, because I needed to know. Within seconds, I felt a sense of peace and calm come over me like I had never known, and I felt sure that it was God. I know that probably sounds a bit naff to an unbeliever, because it would have done to me before.

Regarding your earlier message, the best I can say is that people have been created with free will, and as such can (and do) make either good or bad (sometimes very bad) choices. But following the teachings of Jesus helps me personally.

Children
No Data