The Autistic Christian

Let me say from the start that I have a strong faith and although I’m willing to discuss it, I have not started this thread to try and evangelise anyone. Simply I’d like to discuss with other autistic Christians how they cope with church, other Christians and trying to resolve their head around everything.

Parents
  • Awesome.... Not many autistic people are religious. I'm not at all but would love to debate it with you. 

I just can't logically believe there is a god/s. To me it makes no sense to create imperfect life by design. Unless god isn't perfect & punishing all mankind for Adam&Eve mistake is like punishing you for WW1 warcrimes. You are innocent and were not alive but it's your fault anyway.... 

I'm not challenging your faith, just don't understand how to believe. 

18! //

.. +-! 

• Please tell me why you believe because I want to believe. 

Reply Children
  • I believe because I have faith the Lord my God, my Heavenly Father, which I know sounds like a circular argument but it truly is the case and that is the point. You can not tell someone how to believe you can simply show they why you believe and they either will or won't. Most people have faith for one of two reasons, either they were brought up in the church and so have always had faith or the Lord showed them what happens with faith. What I mean by that is that they had a miracle happen to them, or they witnessed a miracle or they know someone that a miracle happened to them and they heard that person's testament. In my own life, despite growing up in a Christian family where my father went back to being a Church minister and the negative impact that had on my life, a host of things have happened to strengthen my faith and to get me through the hard times.

I will give you just one example, and will happily tell you others if you want them. I left a solid job to work for the offshore safety division of the HSE and found it was my calling but there were lots of issues within the organisation, which I instantly saw and pointed out. Well the net result was that I got fired but at the same time I was seeing a Christian girl and got dramatically dumped after revealing something from my past I hadn't told anyone before, then having flown back from London to Aberdeen having been dumped I developed double pneumonia, which was when I got the letting terminating my contract. So unsurprisingly I was in a very darkplace and because of my upbringing, I couldn't speak to anyone about it. So once day, I was out in the car with my then young daughter asleep in the car behind me and drove down to a bench by the grey North Sea and stopped. I sat on that bench and had a smoke whilst looking out to sea. I had an overwhelming desire to just walk out into the grey cold inviting flat calm sea and just keep walking. Well I felt the Lord tap me on the shoulder and say to me "she needs you" and I turned round and saw the car and my daughter sleeping in it. That snapped me out of it and pulled me back to normality and gave me the drive to find another job and to get on with life, which I did, as by the time my notice period was up, with the Lord's help I had secured a new job with almost equivalent pay. 

I hope that helps you to have faith, but I can't force you to and I certainly did not start this thread to evangelise, just to try and help myself be a better Christian, even if it has started some very interesting sub-threads including your own. So thank you for that and the opportunity to share part of my life story.

• I agree with StephenHarris, but I wasn't brought up in the church. I was an atheist until the age of 24, and only set foot in a church then because I was having a personal crisis. A work colleague  (who I was shocked at the time to find was a Christian) invited me along. But while I was there I mixed with people who really believed, for the first time. In my family, no-one said "Jesus" except as a swear word.

Gradually I got to a point where I wanted to believe, but couldn't see how to. I could accept that Jesus probably existed, and was a great teacher, but not the Son of God. Then one day I had a "lightbulb" moment, when I realised that, if there really was a God who had had brought into being the whole universe, that the stuff about the virgin birth, the resurrection and the miracles was peanuts by comparison. The next Sunday, during the time of prayer, I prayed (silently) that if God was really there He would somehow show me, because I needed to know. Within seconds, I felt a sense of peace and calm come over me like I had never known, and I felt sure that it was God. I know that probably sounds a bit naff to an unbeliever, because it would have done to me before.

Regarding your earlier message, the best I can say is that people have been created with free will, and as such can (and do) make either good or bad (sometimes very bad) choices. But following the teachings of Jesus helps me personally.

• I have to have some hope that there is something better after we die. I was brought up in the Church and without its moral grounding, I don't know what I'd be like.