New here advice needed please

Hi everyone I'm new here and looking for some advice on my situation with my beautiful little boy Harry. He's just turned 3 and he's a lovely happy little boy but, over the past year I've started to notice little things about Harry that have now all added up into something much bigger. I'll try to explain about this in a bit more detail in the hope that someone can offer me some advice or reassurance. Harry struggles to communicate with us for example he should really be starting with potty training but I know my little boy and I know he doesn't understand toilet habits he has shown no interest. He knows the word toilet and where it is but he doesn't understand what it's for. 

He has a very limited diet he will eat cheese sandwiches but the bread has to be a certain shade of brown and the cheese has to always be mature! He will eat pizza but again only margarita he will eat plain cooked pasta he will not eat any type of veg and the only fruit he will eat is banana (occasionally) he will eat cheerios and sometimes toast. He likes crisps but only roast chicken and he will sometimes eat meat if it's a certain shape or colour ie bird's-eye beefburgers but not Mcdonalds etc 

He has recently started chewing his tshirts while concentrating on something, he has a comfort blanket which goes everywhere with him he chews this also and hits himself (not hard) in the face with it to goto sleep

He is obsessed with his tablet he's fantastic with it and can do games my older son can't but if the battery dies or he can't do something he screams the place down

He doesn't really talk to us or ask us for anything other than a drink his blanket or a sandwich he's very possessive with us and cries if anyone leaves the room. He doesn't acknowledge his big brother who is 4 he doesn't play with toys he will push a car back and forth or carry a dinosaur around but doesn't actually try to play games. He likes to do jigsaws but always the same ones (bing) bing bunny is the reason I started noticing these things because although he doesn't talk to us he can say anything he can recite whole episodes of something he has seen once or twice even when not watching TV he will mumble the whole episodes to himself and also do the actions he has seen on whatever he was watching. Even something he hasn't seen for months he will remember it word for word. 

Our garden is like a playground but the only thing that interests him are broken up paving stones he stacks them up and always heads straight for them or the trampoline he likes to lie on it with his blanket and tablet. We have bikes wheelbarrows swings slides ride ons go karts swing ball climbing frames but he never bothers with any of it. 

If I take him shopping with me he will cry if I go down am aisle then have to backtrack up the same aisle he gets angry if I miss an aisle out if a bus comes but it's not our bus he cries if I have to stand in a queue he cries. 

He goes in on himself where no matter how loud you say his name it's like he can't hear you speaking to him you have to touch his shoulder to get him to listen to you 

I hope this post doesn't sound like I'm complaining (I'm not) Harry is my baby and I love him more than life itself he was born a good weight 9lb3oz he suffered with reflux and was put on omeprazole. He cried almost constantly for the first 6 month (colic?) but then he settled and is no bother. Now I don't know if I'm putting 2 + 2 together and making 5 or I'm worrying for a good reason I'd be so so grateful if someone could give me there view on it. The doctors aren't interested but if I could get some advice on here about which direction I need to go in I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time to read this post sorry it's so long 

Parents
  • Hi NAS24780,

If you would like to speak to someone to discuss your concerns, you might like to consider calling the NAS Autism Helpline. The Helpline's trained advisors can provide you with information and advice. You can call them on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm), although please note that the Helpline is experiencing increasingly high demand, and you may not reach them straight away.

Please see the following link for further information: http://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main/contact.aspx

Regards,

Kerri-Mod

• Hi NAS24780,

If you would like to speak to someone to discuss your concerns, you might like to consider calling the NAS Autism Helpline. The Helpline's trained advisors can provide you with information and advice. You can call them on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm), although please note that the Helpline is experiencing increasingly high demand, and you may not reach them straight away.

Please see the following link for further information: http://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main/contact.aspx

Regards,

Kerri-Mod

Children
No Data