Newly-Diagnosed and Feel Adrift

Hello - I am Penrose76 and a newly-graduated mature student.  After years of personal speculation and self diagnosis, I have now undertaken official tests. The results are in and I definitely have Asperger's Syndrome. Even though I suspected and self dx, I wanted conclusive proof,rather than theoretic. 

I have to let it sink in, as women with AS can be difficult to spot and indeed I believed that I was perhaps NT with Asperger traits (if there is such a thing). To be told today that I 'definitely' have AS has left me with mixed feelings.  A week on and I think I am adjusting from the 'Suspected Self-DX' to the 'Confirmed AS DX' but feel a bit adrift.  I just want to talk to someone about it, because even though I have got the confirmation, I do feel that I have just been left 'to get on with it.'

So - I have joined up here and am hoping t get more personal insight by people who have ASD rather than just professionals.  Would love to hear people's stories and look forward to hearing from you.

Parents
  • Hi, I was diagnosed over a year ago, I'm 47....still cant get used to the diagnosis and to be honest feel lost....I have been my sons Carer for years, he was diagnosed with Aspergers aged 17..through the years I would notice I would become ill myself but almost would feel like I was regressing the more stressed I would become I was almost like a child myself...I also could never maintain any friendships, it was so exhausting which I now know is due to all the years masking my Aspergers....but it has left me with really poor self identity and totally isolated, I think it would have made quite a difference to have known earlier...I agree with you that its a feeling of left to get on with it as we always have done and I don't think there is a lot of help out there....

• I think if you have a son with Aspergers and have AS yourself, that must be very challenging sometimes.  I think it helps to find people of like mind and this forum does seems to have interesting people with similar tales.

Reply Children
No Data