Newly-Diagnosed and Feel Adrift

Hello - I am Penrose76 and a newly-graduated mature student.  After years of personal speculation and self diagnosis, I have now undertaken official tests. The results are in and I definitely have Asperger's Syndrome. Even though I suspected and self dx, I wanted conclusive proof,rather than theoretic. 

I have to let it sink in, as women with AS can be difficult to spot and indeed I believed that I was perhaps NT with Asperger traits (if there is such a thing). To be told today that I 'definitely' have AS has left me with mixed feelings.  A week on and I think I am adjusting from the 'Suspected Self-DX' to the 'Confirmed AS DX' but feel a bit adrift.  I just want to talk to someone about it, because even though I have got the confirmation, I do feel that I have just been left 'to get on with it.'

So - I have joined up here and am hoping t get more personal insight by people who have ASD rather than just professionals.  Would love to hear people's stories and look forward to hearing from you.

Parents
  • I commented on the other 'Womem Aspie' thread and am used up now, hopefully some will come here but there is a lot already written on the various Women threads.

Many are reticent about going for anything more than self dx, some of us are waiting. Don't think anyone expects a whole lot of immediate help to make life more bearable. It's not pretty is it? 

• I feel better now I have found a group of Aspie women on here - I think it's because I had got the preliminary diagnosis, but the paperwork will not confirmed it for another 3 weeks.  I suppose I am just trying to adjust my thinking and the new info takes a while to filter through.

• I feel better now I have found a group of Aspie women on here - I think it's because I had got the preliminary diagnosis, but the paperwork will not confirmed it for another 3 weeks.  I suppose I am just trying to adjust my thinking and the new info takes a while to filter through.

Children
No Data