Mum to my recently diagnosed son

Hello everyone, 

I am 39 and have a gorgeous 3 year old boy who got his diagnoses two weeks ago for ASD. He is very sensory and can seek and get over stimulated at the same time. He is none verbal and has a special interest in Winnie the Pooh. I am learning with him on this journey and really just want to put myself out there in the hope that there maybe others near who would like to connect with me. I don't really know anyone in the area I live. I moved to be near my late husbands family. Doing this alone and having a child who struggles to shut down at night, has been at times overwhelming as I fight to stay awake with him. But I love everything about my boy. If I changed him he wouldn't be the boy he is. But I do want to help support him to grow and develop to the best of his abilities. I feel I need help to do that. So here I am saying hi and hoping someone may say hi back 

Parents
  • Hello, I'm Laura 24 very similar story. Friday my 3 year old son was diagnosed with autism. He's also non verbal. His main interests are peppa pig and paw patrol but he seems to have a very short attention span. My son loves to feel things and put things in his mouth all of the time and loves being outside. 

I know very little about autism and just looking for help/advice and support from people going through this. 

• Hello, I'm Laura 24 very similar story. Friday my 3 year old son was diagnosed with autism. He's also non verbal. His main interests are peppa pig and paw patrol but he seems to have a very short attention span. My son loves to feel things and put things in his mouth all of the time and loves being outside. 

I know very little about autism and just looking for help/advice and support from people going through this. 

Children
  • Hello Laura,

so nice to hear from another mum going through the same thing. 

My son loves the outdoors too and goes through cycles of different behaviours. He sometimes likes putting things in his mouth. I have seen him try and fill his mouth with all his top, whilst eating. I bought him a chewbuddy from a sensory website which he could wear and chew on safely as it's made of medical material so won't brake up in his mouth. I kept worrying he may chew a zip or button off. 

It would be lovely if a few of us parents could find each other to lean on. Even if it's simply to unload thoughts in our heads. Just hearing you describe your son a little felt like I was reading about my own life and it's a relief to know we are not alone on this journey. I think empathy is a great foundation for support. Please let's keep in touch. I took my son camping on his birthday. He was such a different boy whilst away. His birthday is in May. The kids were still in school and the campsite had very few people on it. We had an entire field to ourselves. It was in Cornwall. He just loves nature and was so relaxed and happy. We stayed in what's called a camping pod. He loved it as it was so snug. I put fairy lights up inside which helped at night . I would definitely do this again. It's hard getting him out to places as they are normally so busy and he struggles with all the different sounds 

thanks ever so much for getting in touch and please feel free to contact me anytime. It's lovely to hear from a fellow mum