Mum to my recently diagnosed son

Hello everyone, 

I am 39 and have a gorgeous 3 year old boy who got his diagnoses two weeks ago for ASD. He is very sensory and can seek and get over stimulated at the same time. He is none verbal and has a special interest in Winnie the Pooh. I am learning with him on this journey and really just want to put myself out there in the hope that there maybe others near who would like to connect with me. I don't really know anyone in the area I live. I moved to be near my late husbands family. Doing this alone and having a child who struggles to shut down at night, has been at times overwhelming as I fight to stay awake with him. But I love everything about my boy. If I changed him he wouldn't be the boy he is. But I do want to help support him to grow and develop to the best of his abilities. I feel I need help to do that. So here I am saying hi and hoping someone may say hi back 

Parents
  • Hi penny jane thank you for taking the step to come here and seek out plans for your lovely sons future,I think he is a very lucky little chap having an understanding mum like you.

There is a lot of information on here to read through,I am male and 55 and only recently decided I have been autistic all my life,Autsm wasn't really recognised back then,there is a lot of help and support for young ones now, it can be a postcode lottery I am afraid, 

Anyway someone will appear with links and sound advice to help you.

Look after yourself and your son,Winnie the pooh is a fantastic place to be in,

• Hi penny jane thank you for taking the step to come here and seek out plans for your lovely sons future,I think he is a very lucky little chap having an understanding mum like you.

There is a lot of information on here to read through,I am male and 55 and only recently decided I have been autistic all my life,Autsm wasn't really recognised back then,there is a lot of help and support for young ones now, it can be a postcode lottery I am afraid, 

Anyway someone will appear with links and sound advice to help you.

Look after yourself and your son,Winnie the pooh is a fantastic place to be in,

Children
  • Hello Loneworrior 

Thank you for your kind words and I am sorry it has taken 55 years for you to discover you could have autism. I have read about very late diagnoses and hope you can get some support finally. Communities like this are invaluable for both those with autism and anyone supporting a person with autism. I am so pleased my Paediatrician told me about this one. Yes anything Winnie related he loves. He watches documentaries and book reviews a lot at the minute and he currently likes Winnie in German and Spanish. He has many many books on Winnie. For me he is an inspiration and I hope as the years go on I do right by him. 

Thanks so much for saying hi