7 year old with ASD, great social skills but no social boundaries help please!

Hi all! We have been advised that our almost 7 year old has come out "above the threshold for ASD" and has recently had a play assessment for which we are awaiting feedback. The reason we have got this far is due to constant problems at school as well as home and extra curricular groups. He causes low level disruption ALL the time when his brain is not actively engaged in a task. Durng a task he is then hard to coax away and move on to something else. I am so confused as although we are positive something is not quite right he is such a sociable boy. He is very charismatic and likes to be center of attention all the time. He doesnt have any close friends and doesn't understand boundaries which makes him socially awkward. He likes to touch people and often says things that are inappropriate. He doesn't show remorse and only shows concern if something reallt quite bad happens, he also doesnt apologise and honestly doesnt seem to understand why he ever should. He is very bright and it often seems as though his brain is not tired, if that makes sense! Is there anyone else out there with children of similar characteristics? Would be great to speak to others that can offer any advice. 

Many Thanks, a concerned and loving Mummy x

Parents
  • Hello Mrskbell- my 6 year old boy sounds so like how you have described your son here. Our school are in the process of evaluating our son due to his level of disruption in the classroom and his inability to sit still and do what is asked of him. His teacher also believes he has high levels of anxiety, which is causing meltdowns and shouting when he is told off for not doing what is asked of him. What I am struggling with though is the social awkwardness that you are describing above. He is a gorgeous, loving and happy boy, full of energy and enthusiasm for everything but he has no spatial awareness and is very much "in the faces" of other children. We are now finding that the other children don't want to play with him and he is not invited to playdates or parties. He really doesn't understand why, even though we try to explain about personal space etc. I am finding it all so upsetting and wondered how you were getting on. Have you found anything to help your son at all which may also help us please?

• Hello Mrskbell- my 6 year old boy sounds so like how you have described your son here. Our school are in the process of evaluating our son due to his level of disruption in the classroom and his inability to sit still and do what is asked of him. His teacher also believes he has high levels of anxiety, which is causing meltdowns and shouting when he is told off for not doing what is asked of him. What I am struggling with though is the social awkwardness that you are describing above. He is a gorgeous, loving and happy boy, full of energy and enthusiasm for everything but he has no spatial awareness and is very much "in the faces" of other children. We are now finding that the other children don't want to play with him and he is not invited to playdates or parties. He really doesn't understand why, even though we try to explain about personal space etc. I am finding it all so upsetting and wondered how you were getting on. Have you found anything to help your son at all which may also help us please?

Children
No Data