Hi All

Hi everyone

I am a 52 year old male who has been given a provisional diagnosis of sub-autism/Aspergers 

I have joined here to find out what this actually means as it has come as a big shock to me

look forward to chatting with you all

Don

• hi everyone,

thank you all for the warm welcome,

I am finding the forum a great resource of information and I seem to be finally starting to understand the problems I have had my entire life.

thanks again

Don

• How was it a shock? The diagnosis doesn't change you into a different person. It's not like a diagnosis of a terminal illness. It may help you to understand yourself better, if you want to do so. Good luck.

• 42 and after lots of reasearch suspect I am ASD....also completed lots of online assessments (AQ scores etc).. it has been a month now since things "clicked" but gave always felt different and always worried about why I did not fit in or connect.

it does open a can if worms and I have been hyper-processing my whole life during the last month....,it is like someone has thrown your life into a ceiling fan...! Just waiting for all the pieces to fall back to earth....so I can try and out then in some sort of order.

the people here are lively though.,,,and their support has helped greatly...

• Hi and welcome Don, 

I'm 39 and in the waiting process of a full assessment after my therapist gave me the post diagnosis of Aspergers at the end of last year. I've read a lot here and there are a lot of people who are quite happy about the diagnosis and I agree with the point that a lot makes sense now, but I am struggling to understand it though. To understand myself, my reactions. It feels like I have way more problems to cope now then before the thought of being on the Autism spectrum. I'm hoping to learn more about it all and learn to "cope" or accept.

All the best for you!  

• Hi Don,

Welcome!  58-year-old male here.  I was diagnosed 2 years ago.  There were natural downsides - mainly wishing it had been diagnosed when I was much younger - but it's been overwhelmingly positive.  Life makes a lot more sense now, right the way through.  Also, there's the fact that I can be taken seriously and ask for reasonable adjustments in the workplace, etc. 

Take a look around at some related threads.  And don't be afraid to ask questions.  Is there anything particular that worries you, or that you'd like to find out more about?  Ask away.  Someone will surely have an answer.

See you around.

Tom

• Hi Don

welcome to the crew ....there are a number of us "mature types" here all at various stages of self diagnoses, assessment and post diagnosis.....all late comers to the club!

i hope you like it here 

x