I'm new to this, can someone give me advice?

hi everyone, my daughter goes to CAMHS and they are referring her to their autism team to have her assessed. She is 14 and they suspect it's aspergers and so I was wondering what happens in the final assessment? I know it takes a while and they ask questions and the main thing I'm unsure about is when it comes to the play side of things, what do they do with teenagers at this point as usually they aren't into children's toys (sorry if I'm wrong with that) 

if Anyone could help it would mean a lot and then I can calm her down when she gets anxious about what's going to happen. Thanks

Parents
  • My son is 16 and has also been referred to CAMHS re Asperger's assessment. They may use the ADOS formal assessment. It stands for Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule. CAMHS team member/s will use age appropriate discussion to observe the youngsters language, body language including eye contact, taking things literally, use of imagination etc. The session is flimed so that the multi-disciplinary team can discuss whether they feel the young person meets the criteria for a diagnosis. They may find there are certain autistic traits but not enough for a diagnosis.

The clinicians involved should take time to explain what is going to happen to reduce anxiety. There may be one or more clinician. It may last 1-1.5 hours. I believe parents can sit in if required however not there to participate. Hope this helps

• Thank you that has helped a lot

Reply Children
No Data