Writing a book about Autism

Hello my name is Andreas, and I am currently writing a book about autism.

Say if you were to purchase such a book what content would you expect for it to contain?
I myself have Autism, and struggle in the everyday life, figured I might as well make a book, and try and help others out.

If anyone feels like a book like this could be a help, or if anyone have ideas for what the book should contain.
What topics, what I should show my point of view on, or what should be explained or mentioned, please do contact me.

This book already contains a couple of things, I have written 56 pages so far, about depression, autism and anxiety.

• Think it would be the other way round, this post is 4 years old! Lol! If they wrote a book, it'll be on the shelves now, if it was good enough. Good look with your novel though! 

• andreas, is it fictional or non-ficitional? im currently working on a novel about autism & superpowers. do not copy me LOL

• You're good!
    You will have a wonderful book!

• Hey :) 

I think it depends on who the target audience is. If it's for people with autism, then it could filled with practical things (support, working, social interaction). If it's for people who want to learn more about it, then perhaps some easy-to-digest information about autism and the spectrum, associated behaviours etc?

Much love <3

• Practical help would be good..,,a lot of people here have found out through various means that they are on the spectrum...but practical help would be useful....I.e....

• how to have "that" conversation with your GP, your partner, family etc
    • managing work and getting an ASD friendly workplace
    • how to keep safe....i.e recognising bullying, co-ehersive control etc
    • being able to communicate your wants and needs
    • self - what is me and what is my ASD...,managing existential angst
    • what support is out there
    • managing anxiety and depression
    • leanring to at least accept yourself
    • being able to recognise and celebrate your uniqueness....

trips off off the tongue...

what are your thoughts? There seems to be quite a growing number of books out there (particularly relating to women and parents) ..... what is your niche?

hope that helps and good luck...brave of you to contact us...as Hendrow says....welcome to the island.....we are here...but need help finding the mainland.... :) 

• Hi Andreas

One of the things I am learning is that I have many similarities with other ASD people, but I also have many differences. I have read quite a few books, and the best ones I have found fall into 2 catagories:

Simple and effective - These often contain imagry / cartoons (not sure why) but they give simple examples of how we may think differently. I have found these are great with younger people (My favorite is 'My Brother is Different' which we gave to our 7 year old daughter to read as her 4 year old brother is ASD)

They tend to focus on traits that may be annoying to NT people, but are not what they seem. As an adult, reading this with my daughter I found it was very effective, and helped me to understand what it was my daughter saw in her brother (And in me as an ASD parent). I highly reccomend this book to young siblings as an introduction to ASD,

The second type I find effective combines descriptions of traits and difficulties with personal examples from both ASD people AND the NT people who live with them or work with them. (''Thinking Person's Guide to Autism" is a great example of this). I think It is important to give a view from both the inside and the outside, as this helps people to relate to one side, which in turn helps them understand the other a bit more.

Also most of all, it needs to not shy away from the hard parts, but also not miss out the happy bits! We all have issues and problems, but when people look to read a book and learn more, as a writer its probably a good thing to make it readable and enjoyable, so that people read the whole book, nd you can deliver your message clearly. If they manage to go back and re-read then thats even better!

Good luck!