Totally new!

Hi,

I have a partner of 28 years who is aspergers, Im burnt out and we are separated at present for my sanity and his I expect. Only just coming to grasp the problems we've had have all been to do with aspergers, any one else the same? Done the nervous breakdown, totally burnt out. Need help and advice desperately , very lonely, very frustrated, broken family.

• Hi Turtle,

I hope you get the support and advice you and your family need to go forward.

I am not any position to offer you any -I'll leave that to the professionals. :-)

• Hi Turtle, 

Contact the Helpline as they are best placed to discuss this with you.

Regards,

Kerri-Mod

• Turtle, are you an empath, would you identify with that?

• If I had a £1 for every-time, one of my ex's called me an android, I would  

• Why s it up to you to sort it...can anyone else help?

• Thanks for responding ! I don't know any one who knows how to help us yet, and my therapist didn't think it was a good idea to tell him him has aspergers? Its very very hard, we have 5 kids and 28 year history, marriage has broken up cos of his stuff, and I now have PTSD on top of it all from the life , don't feel much hope, but I am still trying.

• So the "elephant in the room" is you need support, or he does, I suspect you both do...,and it is getting hold of it...

worried that you said that you were burnt out which us not the best place to be in terms of making big decisions...

thinking of you

• Your welcome :) I know how tiring things can be, though I am on the diagnosed side of the fence. I have my NT other half, whois amazing, but we also have 3 children, 1 of whom is ASD and it is a tiring little world! Learning about my ASD in the last 2 years has taught me a lot about myself, and put a different viewpoint on my life up till 33, but with life, you have to keep on going or it mows you down.

Kerri-mod's post lower down is great! I know that there is support for people living with someone with ASD, and for my partner its fantastic that she will be able to meet people who are in the same boat as her!

Good luck!

• Hi again Kerri, do you think its worth having him diagnosed officially, I know the family may see all the damage thats been caused in a more understanding light, 

• I actually call him an android!!!! He knows he is a robot, and says he's robotic, but I wonder if thats because Ive already said it... he tends to parrot back what Ive said... 

• Yes, my partner has caused no end of hurt and problems! Now I don't know how to sort all the mess...

• Thank you so much, so exhausted...

• Hi, I do feel emotionally and mentally abused, and I am a therapist so I understand a lot of cycles and patterns of behaviour, just whatever therapy we have nothing ever changes or works, and its as if the next day, nothing has been learnt at all!!  I don't want to move on, yet I can't see how to make a relationship, no support at all... this has only come about because my therapist is 100% sure he has aspergers . He's undiagnosed and oblivious

• Thank you for your reply, I need support! Its such a tiring life

• I have been called an "android" more than a few times, ironically (I actually do a mean robot dance) I also loved 'robot type' beings portrayed on the Television as a child. Data in 'star trek' wants to be human, silly Data.

• Hi Turtle,

So sorry to read of your troubles.  I identify, but from the other side of the fence.  When I got my diagnosis 2 years ago, it explained so much to me about why I'd always struggled with relationships, and why the women had nearly always ended up walking away from me - or 'running' might be a more appropriate word.  I'm very difficult to live with, and I realise I caused a great deal of hurt and suffering to people who didn't really deserve it.

I do so hope you get the help you need and deserve.

Best wishes,

Tom

• Wow, I cannot use the word    F                           O                               C                                     K?

Vladimir Aleksandrovich Fock was a Soviet physicist, who did foundation work on quantum mechanics and quantum electrodynamics. Wikipedia
    Born: 22 December 1898, Saint Petersburg, Russia
    Died: 27 December 1974, Saint Petersburg, Russia
    Poor Poor, Vladimir (Can I use his surname?)
  • Hi Turtle,

I am really sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time.  You may like to contact our Helpline Autism Helpline, as they can provide you with information and advice. You can call them on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). The Helpline is often very busy and you may not reach them straight away, but do keep trying if you don't get through.

The following link has more information: http://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main.aspx

There's also information on the website for partners of people on the autism spectrum, some of which may be of help: http://www.autism.org.uk/about/family-life/partners.aspx.

I hope that helps.  

Regards,

Kerri-Mod

• Sorry to hear you are going through a really tough time. 

I commend you for your loyalty to your partner for this long.....I strongly believe that my first husband was ASD.....and stuck out a 12 year marriage feeling very isolated and unloved.

how do you feel about being separated? I only ended my marriage when it got to the point that it was beginning to damage me psychologically and I did not want my son to grow up to thing that the nature of our relationship was the "norm".

are you hoping to get back together? Do you have support?

take care

• Hi Turtle,

Welcome to the forum. I guarantee you are not alone in how you are feeling and what your going through! The NAS website has some great resources, and depending on where you live there are also lots of local organisations offering help and support to people with ASD and also people living with people with ASD.

You are doing the right thing in asking and looking for support! Don't give up hope! Slight smile