self diagnosed - should i try to get a formal diagnosis?

Hello,

I'm a 20 yr old woman and after some research I've self-diagnosed with ASD, reading about it made me realize that it just fits. However, I believe I would benefit from a formal diagnosis to get better help for my anxiety and depression, as I feel some of the advice I get from my therapist doesn't work if I'm autistic. Plus I struggle with trusting my own assessment so knowing for sure would help. What is everyone's opinion? Should I try and get a diagnosis?

If anyone is in a similar situation come and chat!

Parents
  • Knowing there is a reason why you are like you are should not be underestimated.

My (adult) diagnosis has meant that I can at last start to do what is natural to me without having an internal argument about whether it is "right" then trying (and failing) to behave in a neurotypical way.

A diagnosis will probably mean you are entitled to reasonable adjustments at work.

A diagnosis can also help in ways you may not have considered. For example, a while ago I needed to have weekly blood tests and the system was first come, first served - a terrible system for someone with Asperger's as there is no structure. I mentioned to my care co-ordinator the anxiety this was causing and she suggested I mention I have Asperger's and ask for a time slot. I spoke with the phlebotomy department's receptionist and, whilst she could not allocate me a time slot, she arranged for me to be seen straight away each week (this was almost the same as a time slot as I reached the department at the same time each week).

With regards to support, due to consecutive governments' policies I have been unable to obtain any support for my Asperger's. The support I had just before diagnosis related to my mental health problems. Unfortunately, with continued cuts I do not see any hope of obtaining support for my Asperger's (or my continued mental health problems).

• Knowing there is a reason why you are like you are should not be underestimated.

My (adult) diagnosis has meant that I can at last start to do what is natural to me without having an internal argument about whether it is "right" then trying (and failing) to behave in a neurotypical way.

A diagnosis will probably mean you are entitled to reasonable adjustments at work.

A diagnosis can also help in ways you may not have considered. For example, a while ago I needed to have weekly blood tests and the system was first come, first served - a terrible system for someone with Asperger's as there is no structure. I mentioned to my care co-ordinator the anxiety this was causing and she suggested I mention I have Asperger's and ask for a time slot. I spoke with the phlebotomy department's receptionist and, whilst she could not allocate me a time slot, she arranged for me to be seen straight away each week (this was almost the same as a time slot as I reached the department at the same time each week).

With regards to support, due to consecutive governments' policies I have been unable to obtain any support for my Asperger's. The support I had just before diagnosis related to my mental health problems. Unfortunately, with continued cuts I do not see any hope of obtaining support for my Asperger's (or my continued mental health problems).

Children
  • This thread is definitely convincing me to get a diagnosis! It sucks that there's so little support for adults though...

• NAS8954 said:

Knowing there is a reason why you are like you are should not be underestimated.

A diagnosis can also help in ways you may not have considered. For example, a while ago I needed to have weekly blood tests and the system was first come, first served - a terrible system for someone with Asperger's as there is no structure. I mentioned to my care co-ordinator the anxiety this was causing and she suggested I mention I have Asperger's and ask for a time slot. I spoke with the phlebotomy department's receptionist and, whilst she could not allocate me a time slot, she arranged for me to be seen straight away each week (this is almost the same as a time slot as I reach the department at the same time each week).

Says it all!