Extremely Anxious Son, Worried Parents

Newbie saying Hello,

I have a 15 year old Son who was diagnosed 2 years ago. He had a better understanding of himself and then had answers to the questions he could not answer before getting his diagnoses.

But for the last 2 years he has suffered with Anxiety, to the point where he never leaves the house, even to go to school. It has completely stopped him from doing or going anywhere. It has taken over his life. He does go to CAHMS they was about to prescribe medication to help him, but on a recent  blood test we discovered he had an under active Thyroid, this then stopped CAHMS prescribing anything for him. I have managed to secure him a place in a school for children with complex needs. He is supposed to begin his year 11 in September. This is looking doubtful now because he needs far more help than just talking therapy. He wants to go to school and enjoys learning, but he is so frustrated because he is unable to do so and he is aware that time is running out to sit his exams. Could anybody give me any advice, on what steps I could take to help my Son. 

We just don't know what we can do anymore and are exhausted of ideas.

• You need to get on the phone to your GP and ask them to contact the community paediatrician for advice on starting thyroxin in the community to correct your son's hypothyroidism before he is seen by them.

If there are concerns that this will adversely affect his ASD, point out that not getting other help because of untreated hypothyroidism is the main problems here. Be persistent!!!

You might be surprised to know a major sign of low thyroid is depressed mood and he may start feeling a lot better once treatment starts.  Hypothyroidism is rare in under 20s so make sure they screen for other autoimmune conditions including coeliac disease when he's seen by paediatric department