Aspergers and selective mutism

Hi, everyone

Not sure how this all works yet as new to the site. 

I have 4 Children all boys from 21 - 12, two of which are likely to be getting a diagnosis very soon for Aspergers. I have already been through the diagnosis process once for my now 19 year old, but they felt he was borderline so could not do a diagnosis, now however as he as got older, they have decided they want to re assess as they feel he is on the spectrum. 

I also have a 14 year old, who is almost at the end of diagnosis. I have done alot of online research on Autismn and have also learned through my own experiences of coping with different situations, but i must say i am struggling slightly with my 14 year old who has selective mutism also and am wondering if anyone else has a child with selective mutism, that can share any pointers.

Thank you xx

Parents
  • Hi, Have just joined this site and saw your post. My daughter , 13, has ASD and selective mutism. The ASD wasn't picked up on until her transition to high school, and that's when the SM kicked in. It was too much to cope with for her.

She's in a mainstream secondary school, for now anyway. 

Not sure if I have any pointers, as such, as we are just beginning to get to grips with the SM now; she hasn't spoken to anyone in school for almost a year now, not even other children, not even me.

How does your son's mutism manifest, at school? At home also? Are the school helpful and understanding? My daughter's school have been trying hard, but with little success so far. It just seems like meeting after meeting, where nothing is ever resolved.

It can be extremely wearing, especially as there is little understanding among the general public of these conditions. 

Sorry to prattle on, just haven't met anyone with a child with both conditions before. x

• Hi, Have just joined this site and saw your post. My daughter , 13, has ASD and selective mutism. The ASD wasn't picked up on until her transition to high school, and that's when the SM kicked in. It was too much to cope with for her.

She's in a mainstream secondary school, for now anyway. 

Not sure if I have any pointers, as such, as we are just beginning to get to grips with the SM now; she hasn't spoken to anyone in school for almost a year now, not even other children, not even me.

How does your son's mutism manifest, at school? At home also? Are the school helpful and understanding? My daughter's school have been trying hard, but with little success so far. It just seems like meeting after meeting, where nothing is ever resolved.

It can be extremely wearing, especially as there is little understanding among the general public of these conditions. 

Sorry to prattle on, just haven't met anyone with a child with both conditions before. x

Children
  • Only just seen this post I know 9 years ago but I’m struggling with my daughter she has sm and waiting on last appointment for asd she hasn’t spoken in school for years and won’t even set foot in a classroom just stays with her TA due to start secondary school and I’m fighting trying to get her into a smaller school the change is going to be very difficult for her . Again for myself I haven’t come across anyone on other sites which have both any help out there I really appreciate it