Um, hi? Another introduction/first post

Um, hi there!

First post time; thought I might as well try and introduce myself? I finally received a diagnosis as an adult as being on the spectrum about a year and a half ago; I still haven't shared with too many people to be honest, not quite sure what to do with myself post diagnosis still, even a year and a half later... I guess I'm here to hopefully find other non-neurotypical people I can chat with, learn more about ASC, and hopefully make some friends without the pressures peopling in-person has. 

• This is the latest "Chat"-Thread. 

http://community.autism.org.uk/f/adults-on-the-autistic-spectrum/12534/women-on-the-spectrum-revisited

Summer seems to be a very quiet time, here, I am now seeing for a first time.

With regards to diagnosis, it is a thing, I say, to regard as a sort of backup: You may declare it if needs must, or if you want, yet otherwise it does not have to matter so much except to yourself.

...I myself am not a "chatty" person. There are lots of others here, as TrainSpotter says. Welcome to the Forum, of course.

• Hi GeekyGirl.

I think 'coming out' as autistic can be very difficult as it is very hard to judge what the reaction will be.  I know initially I found it difficult, not that I was ashamed of being autistic.

At work I let my manager know (I had to do that because I was facing all sorts of problems at work (and still do) and I am convinced I would have been dismissed otherwise.  And many of my colleagues were not surprised at all, I am convinced that being autistic but not declaring it means others see that you are 'different' but try to figure out why, and many suspect it but are too polite to say.  Eventually,with me the word got out through the work 'gossip machine' (every workplace has one!) and so everyone there got to know.  I let my children know and their reaction was one of 'you don't say' and total acceptance. 

I tried to tell my mother (aged 89 at the time of my diagnosis) but she seemed to get it mixed up with Tourettes and told me that she didn't think I was because I didn't keep yelling out random swear words every few seconds.  So I let the subject drop.  (My mother by the way is not suffering from dementia but is just a bit naive when it comes to autism).

The 'I've been diagnosed, what next?' can be a difficult question, especially if ostensibly you act 'normal' having learned to mask your condition.  You may seem to function well on the surface, but deep down there may be problems ready to manifest themselves at some indeterminate point.  You may find a support group locally which can help you, but as you suggest there is a great deal of help available on this forum.  And you may also find some 'blogs' on the internet written by autistic people, I won't suggest any but if you google I am sure you will find some.

This forum has very good topics, if you take an active part you will find plenty to occupy yourself with.  Welcome and best wishes!