Hey from West Mids

So after a long road I was finally referred for an ASD assessment by my psychologist in October 2017, 6 appointments (7 hours in total) later as my case was so 'complex' I have been given a diagnosis that I "meet the diagnostic criteria of Autistic Spectrum Disorder of DSM5 299.00".

I am 30 years old and have seen doctors, councillors, psychologists since the age of 13. I have given many diagnosis's over the years and treated for Anxiety, Social Anxiety and Depression mainly. I was involved in a nasty RTA (Road Traffic Accident) when I was 17 which added a new range of symptoms such as PTSD and hypervigilance. As a result I had to answer each DSM5 assessment question twice, before and after the RTA. Also as I struggle with communication and getting what I want to say across so I also typed more in depth answers on the questions being asked in each assessment session.

I'm just here to find out more on how people cope/manage and what support is available in my area, Walsall in the West Midlands. I know there are certain support groups but currently I am struggling to leave the house. Sound and being around people are my biggest issues so group support isn't really an option for me at the moment. I only leave the house for medical appointments and to walk to the shop once or twice a week and I cannot go anywhere without my headphones on. 

While I am still under the care of a mental health team appointments are far apart so I just kinda feel lost in the system.

As far as medications go before my diagnosis I have been on 9 different anti depressants on maximum strengths but nothing has seemed to make any improvement at all and often make things worse. Has anyone on here had a similar experience? The only medication that works for me is Diazepam which I only use in crisis situations and monitored by my doctor. Also I have had CBT 4 times and EMDR once which only made things worse. I purely have to use distraction techniques when I have panic attacks/crisis's.

Any advice welcomed :-)

Ryan

Parents
  • Hello and welcome Ry. Trust me I know exactly what you are going through. Was diagnosed at 38 after years of mental illness. I'd been seeing psychologists, psychiatrists and the like since I was 13 too. Speaking to other people who were diagnosed late it seems that is a pretty common age for things to start. Your whole story is very similar to mine. I've been on a range of medications on and off since my mid teens too. I have hypervigilance as a symptom of GAD and OCD.

Have you let your mental health team know about your diagnosis? I did and things were looking up but the psychiatrist has basically not even looked at any of the information that the psychologist sent. It's been a battle to get things to the stage they are now. I'm going to keep pushing on but that is a story for another thread! The only blessing to come out of it is that AWM and the psychologist worked out a mentor to guide me through certain things. I've only had one meeting but things do look promising on that front. I can't really add any more to contacts other than what DC has said. I have found AWM helpful though. I'm close to where you are and I think you are under their catchment area.

Again Hello and welcome!

• Hello and welcome Ry. Trust me I know exactly what you are going through. Was diagnosed at 38 after years of mental illness. I'd been seeing psychologists, psychiatrists and the like since I was 13 too. Speaking to other people who were diagnosed late it seems that is a pretty common age for things to start. Your whole story is very similar to mine. I've been on a range of medications on and off since my mid teens too. I have hypervigilance as a symptom of GAD and OCD.

Have you let your mental health team know about your diagnosis? I did and things were looking up but the psychiatrist has basically not even looked at any of the information that the psychologist sent. It's been a battle to get things to the stage they are now. I'm going to keep pushing on but that is a story for another thread! The only blessing to come out of it is that AWM and the psychologist worked out a mentor to guide me through certain things. I've only had one meeting but things do look promising on that front. I can't really add any more to contacts other than what DC has said. I have found AWM helpful though. I'm close to where you are and I think you are under their catchment area.

Again Hello and welcome!

Children
No Data