New Member, bit at a loss since diagnosis

Hi All

I'm new here and I'm a parent of a child who has recently been diagnosed with Autism.

i have been given quite a lot of information on groups and charities to contact and also a few books to read but i have to say I'm feeling more than a little lost with it all.

any help and advice would be welcome

Ian

Parents
  • Yes, it's a lot to take in. That can take a while. I'm not a parent, but had my own diagnosis a couple of years ago in my 40s. Suddenly something that was 'other' is a lot closer at hand, not just being autistic but the wider idea of being disabled. It has explained a lot. And a lot of that I probably couldn't have got just from books because it's unique experience and behaviour that I'm now seeing through the new lens of 'neurodiversity'. Basically everyone is different, and autistic people doubly so, or more than doubly. So I'm learning not to make assumptions about what people can and cannot do.

How old is your child, and how is their communication? I expect the usual Tony Attwood books should be helpful. The Naoki Higashida books (The Reason I Jump and its sequel) that have been translated by the novelist David Mitchell may be interesting. 'Naoki has autism of a type labelled severe and non-verbal' like Mitchell's son, and that's helped him understand autism as a sensory and communication difference rather than a lack of intelligence or emotional awareness which it's often painted as. I also found Neurotribes interesting at putting autism into historical context.

I think most useful might be local groups, both NAS groups, and general groups of concerned parents and carers that get involved in campaigns to secure services. There are probably a lot of people living near you who've had similar experiences.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to start a new thread, and you may get answers from parents and autistic adults.  Good luck.

• Yes, it's a lot to take in. That can take a while. I'm not a parent, but had my own diagnosis a couple of years ago in my 40s. Suddenly something that was 'other' is a lot closer at hand, not just being autistic but the wider idea of being disabled. It has explained a lot. And a lot of that I probably couldn't have got just from books because it's unique experience and behaviour that I'm now seeing through the new lens of 'neurodiversity'. Basically everyone is different, and autistic people doubly so, or more than doubly. So I'm learning not to make assumptions about what people can and cannot do.

How old is your child, and how is their communication? I expect the usual Tony Attwood books should be helpful. The Naoki Higashida books (The Reason I Jump and its sequel) that have been translated by the novelist David Mitchell may be interesting. 'Naoki has autism of a type labelled severe and non-verbal' like Mitchell's son, and that's helped him understand autism as a sensory and communication difference rather than a lack of intelligence or emotional awareness which it's often painted as. I also found Neurotribes interesting at putting autism into historical context.

I think most useful might be local groups, both NAS groups, and general groups of concerned parents and carers that get involved in campaigns to secure services. There are probably a lot of people living near you who've had similar experiences.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to start a new thread, and you may get answers from parents and autistic adults.  Good luck.

Children
No Data