New Member, bit at a loss since diagnosis

Hi All

I'm new here and I'm a parent of a child who has recently been diagnosed with Autism.

i have been given quite a lot of information on groups and charities to contact and also a few books to read but i have to say I'm feeling more than a little lost with it all.

any help and advice would be welcome

Ian

Parents
  • Hi there, welcome to the forum. I hope by using the whole of the NAS site. You will hopefully get some much needed guidance. The site covers various topics to say the least. You may find that once anyone (or a specifically a child) is diagnosed with autism I believe you are entitled to some benefit e.g. Disability Living Allowance (may have to check eligibility). There are various services around. I suppose it depends on many factors such as age, location as well as other components. You may notice that a child or young person on the autism spectrum likes their own personal space which is not unusual. Saying that, in regards to education typically a mainstream school would be a bit challenging. It might be worth seeking advice or support from your local authority. Having a one-to-one, or a small group might be useful but depends on many elements.

Generally speaking, when addressing information to an autistic person. You may want take things slow one step at a time. As too much information can be uncomfortable as he or she will not be able to understand what has been said. Maintaining the right level of pace, pitch, volume is another component. Some work well with having cards with symbols or signs if desired. Whilst others may not require it. Some are more visual whilst some are auditory (verbal) it depends.

Having that support whether from a professional or family member can make all the difference. It will take some adjustment but with a few changes ultimately things will improve. Sensitivity can appear in different areas e.g. sound, light, taste, touch, smell etc. Sound can be a problem for most autistic people depending on how loud it may be.

It will take a lot of patience and skills to make things appear well not just for you but perhaps even the whole family. Autistic people are known for taking things literally so it might be useful to use short, simple and effective communication in which the person can understand whilst giving the child or young person a choice and time to respond and process information. Body language can appear misleading at times but for autistic people it can be difficult. Not just by body language but facial expressions, gestures, jokes, sarcasm, common phrases or sayings...

Social communication, imagination and interaction as you know is never straightforward. It will take time to learn new skills on how to engage whilst with others but with the right care and support. Understanding the danger risks, coping in new or unfamiliar situations, rules. But, it is not impossible to try and improve those things. It is about finding that balance and educating he or she at a pace they can understand and hopefully adapt to.

I hope this helps.

• Hi there, welcome to the forum. I hope by using the whole of the NAS site. You will hopefully get some much needed guidance. The site covers various topics to say the least. You may find that once anyone (or a specifically a child) is diagnosed with autism I believe you are entitled to some benefit e.g. Disability Living Allowance (may have to check eligibility). There are various services around. I suppose it depends on many factors such as age, location as well as other components. You may notice that a child or young person on the autism spectrum likes their own personal space which is not unusual. Saying that, in regards to education typically a mainstream school would be a bit challenging. It might be worth seeking advice or support from your local authority. Having a one-to-one, or a small group might be useful but depends on many elements.

Generally speaking, when addressing information to an autistic person. You may want take things slow one step at a time. As too much information can be uncomfortable as he or she will not be able to understand what has been said. Maintaining the right level of pace, pitch, volume is another component. Some work well with having cards with symbols or signs if desired. Whilst others may not require it. Some are more visual whilst some are auditory (verbal) it depends.

Having that support whether from a professional or family member can make all the difference. It will take some adjustment but with a few changes ultimately things will improve. Sensitivity can appear in different areas e.g. sound, light, taste, touch, smell etc. Sound can be a problem for most autistic people depending on how loud it may be.

It will take a lot of patience and skills to make things appear well not just for you but perhaps even the whole family. Autistic people are known for taking things literally so it might be useful to use short, simple and effective communication in which the person can understand whilst giving the child or young person a choice and time to respond and process information. Body language can appear misleading at times but for autistic people it can be difficult. Not just by body language but facial expressions, gestures, jokes, sarcasm, common phrases or sayings...

Social communication, imagination and interaction as you know is never straightforward. It will take time to learn new skills on how to engage whilst with others but with the right care and support. Understanding the danger risks, coping in new or unfamiliar situations, rules. But, it is not impossible to try and improve those things. It is about finding that balance and educating he or she at a pace they can understand and hopefully adapt to.

I hope this helps.

Children
No Data