Things that are good to be done when upon this NAS Forum, Thanks

Yes, I know that I have begun a few Threads lately, and people want to ignore them (because of myself!?)... It does not matter that this Thread has no replies. Extra advice Posted is useful of course, however.

I am only Posting a sort of message here, Thank You all. (This is a sort of FYI-Thread, for the plenty of people who do not know.)

1 - IF YOU SEE A POST WHICH YOU LIKE, THEN PLEASE VOTE IT UP / UPVOTE IT.  

There are two arrows below a Post. Touch the UP arrow, until the number of "LIKES" goes up by one, and the Arrow turns Red/Pink. Then, do not touch it again, else the "Vote"-Number shall go down again. Always pay attention to this.

...People appreciate being "UpVoted" here.

2 - IF YOU REALLY LIKE A POST, THEN UPVOTE IT AND (IF YOU CAN) POST A REPLY.

...We honestly do not mind how long or short a Reply is, in this Forum. After an UpVote, a Reply may simply be: "Yes.", or "Thank You", or "I agree with part of that.". Any Reply at all (which is not a "rude word"!)

...People appreciate acknowledgment here, no matter how small.

(Editing a Reply is done via checking the "MORE"  Word beneath your own Post, and then the Post may be Edited or Deleted.)

4 - IF A POST OR THREAD SEEMS TO BREAK ANY OF THE COMMUNITY RULES, NAS SAYS TO "REPORT AS ABUSIVE". 

...If this Thread continues, I would discuss this, and what happens to "Deleted Users"... I could easily have been one of these myself early on!

That is all for now. Yes, I missed out a Number 3., I know that. Again I say that Replies are not necessary and this is FYI (For Your Information).

Edit: I have Edited Number 4. Sorry for my confusion, before.

Parents
  • Thanks very much for the replies so far. I am posting just to say that I have amended the "Report as abusive" bit, but it is too early in the day for me to interact with any replies just now. I do not know why I wrote what I wrote before, sorry (...). 

While I am typing... I have been meaning to ask... Does anyone know if when a User is Deleted, if they can re-sign ever again with the same EMail Address? (Or same name, different address, or whatever combination?)

Bye for now, though.

• I did honestly mean this question, here. (I also imagine how frustrating it may be to reply to someone who is only on for a short time and late and not always once a day - meaning myself, there.)

Thank You Kindly everyone, yet again. (Summer is still coming... & this means a long "ouch" for me!)

Reply Children
  • So, what does "PM" stand for...?

I bet their middle initial stands for 'Project' (here it is). I'm often up in the middle of the night and have never met WebAM. GrinningGrinning

Are there disallowed names? 

You can't have a duplicate name (even with case changes), as that would be confusing. WebPM implied 'Deleted User' is actually not special to the system, just a workaround so people can keep an NAS account and what they've contributed but have their profile and nickname removed. There can be confusions: BBC 'Have Your Say' shows your own contributions as by 'You' when you're logged in, but people have registered 'You' as a name, and its variations.

Personally I think there should be a rule that names should include upper-case, lower-case and mythological characters of a different gender.

• So, what would happen if someone joined the forum and decided to call themselves 'Deleted User'? Is this name disallowed? Are there disallowed names? 

• Greetings to a new Poster to this Thread, a  "WebPM", never seen before, Hi and Wecome to the Forum and I hope that you make many friends here...!

Yes I am joking...(!). Thanks for that reply... So, what does "PM" stand for...? (Post Manager? Program Manager?) And what happens when you are on holiday, does "WebAM" come and take over for a bit, maybe? This Thread is not for problems/complaints, but if I had one, I would complain that being here takes time away from my playing Pokemon... (grumble grumble, pout...)

Good Fortune to you, Mr Webster! Thanks for putting up with us!

;-)

• The problem with removing posts is, of course, what happens to any replies to those posts - but we can't delete the author and not the posts, because forum systems don't generally know how to handle posts without an author. So, the workaround is to create a "real" user called "Deleted user". Then, if a user needs to be deleted for any reason, you can first reassign the posts to "Deleted user". Theoretically, you could post a new message from the account of "Deleted user", but that would just be confusing!

What happens when an account is deleted depends somewhat on the wishes of the individual. We have single sign-on, linked to the www.autism.org.uk site and ultimately to our membership and contacts database. Someone who wishes no longer to appear in this Community won't necessarily be asking to be removed from membership as well, or even to lose the ability to get member-only services on the "main"/www site. (Of course, you don't have to be a member to register here, so that particular example would not apply to everyone.)

However, no, we don't allow multiple sign-in accounts with the same email address, so, in most cases, you couldn't re-register with the same address. Most forums would frown on doing this anyway, because it's not being open and honest with other users if you have two "personalities".

Hope this helps.

• I'm pretty sure that when a user is deleted (not sure if they were self-deleted or not) all of their posts remain because I've seen many, many posts by 'Deleted User' going back years! There is the option to track back through all of your posts before deleting yourself, I guess, and delete them before you leave but I haven't noticed that happening. 

I use the UP arrow for lots of reasons, not just to signal agreement with a post (in which case I usually would write something about why I agreed) but also sometimes because it was funny, a good comeback, an informative link, maybe it was something that I could relate to (but didn't want to discuss for some reason), and things like that. Oh, and for excellent photo's because I appreciate seeing them and I'm a terrible photographer myself. I use it a LOT! 

I don't use the down arrow very often but I guess if it's a post I REALLY disagree with (maybe because it's based on false information or something like that) I've used it, or a post that is insulting or insensitive or bullying.  

I think I've only used the 'Report as Abusive' thing once or twice and those were pretty extreme cases.   

• It's a technical question, so maybe ask @NAS22768 @WebPM (hmm, that didn't work), on in the usual thread

So the question is whether if a user is deleted, they can sign up again with the same email address? You can't have two users with the same email address, I expect, and I don't see any option in settings to change the email address.

We could experiment with a new username, I suppose. I would think that if a user is properly deleted, then there's no record of their email address and a new user can be registered. However, that full deletion might also remove all details including name and avatar - and all their posts. Ideally there would be option to delete a user and their email address but leave their contributions. That would be the GDPR-friendly way of doing things, but actually the reality is that technology often hasn't been built with privacy by design, and in fact is a very long way from it.