Newbie looking for advice

Hello you lovely lot,

I am new here looking to find some support and advice.  We are currently working with school for my 5 year old son.  He has been assessed by the SENCO at school and a Red Flag assessment done by SENCO and also his class teacher.  They are in communication with the Behaviour Support at the local authority.  My son is not struggling academically infact he is thriving learning numbers, words, spellings etc. and his teacher believes it is Social and Emotional areas he will need support with.  He manages himself well at school (or they have the mechanisms to manage him well) and we struggle at home.  We have never been the most routine of families in terms of what time we eat tea, what days we have a bath etc. and this seems to be quite an issue for him.  My question really is what are the next stages given his Red Flag assessment had a large number of red flags.  Will school refer on for a diagnosis or do I need to get my GP involved?  I am not getting clear communication with school as SENCO only works 2 days a week and I have a childminder doing school drop off and pick up due to work commitments. Just feel a bit lost in all this and unable to know how to help my family understand each other better and therefore be better aware of how to manage meltdowns and pre-empt the chaos that happens at home at weekends.

I would greatly appreciate any information or advice

Parents
  • Hi LChallis

Looks like you've had good advice already from the forum.

If you feel you need to talk things through, you may like to contact our Autism Helpline team who can provide you with information and advice. You can contact the team via telephone on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor. Alternatively, should you prefer to send a message, you can do so via their webform:  https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main/questions.aspx

Hope this helps,

Nicky-Mod

• Hi LChallis

Looks like you've had good advice already from the forum.

If you feel you need to talk things through, you may like to contact our Autism Helpline team who can provide you with information and advice. You can contact the team via telephone on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor. Alternatively, should you prefer to send a message, you can do so via their webform:  https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main/questions.aspx

Hope this helps,

Nicky-Mod

Children
No Data