Focused interest- pets.

Since age 5 I’ve had my own pets to care for. Between 5 and 14 I had hamsters after every death is greive and then adopt another. I knew everything about the care for the animals and the pet itself (birthday, mannerisms and personality). At 14 I moved onto a larger more intelligent rodent- rats. It was much more intense an interest as I dedicated 100% free time to my rats, again knowing all about them. Now it’s my cat and cats generally after loving big cats as a child. 

Do you think an autistic persons pet can be their focused/intense interest? 

I have other focused interests such as music genres. But my main interest is animals, primarily focusing on my pets. 

Parents
  • Yes, why not.  In fact, it's probably an extremely important and rewarding interest.  It's another life form which is dependent on you, and upon which you can bestow unconditional love and care.  You get that back, too.

My cat is now the most important other life in my life, now that my mother is no longer alive.  I dote on her.  She doesn't cheat on me, lie about me, run out on me.  So much more rewarding than many human relationships I've had.

• Yes, why not.  In fact, it's probably an extremely important and rewarding interest.  It's another life form which is dependent on you, and upon which you can bestow unconditional love and care.  You get that back, too.

My cat is now the most important other life in my life, now that my mother is no longer alive.  I dote on her.  She doesn't cheat on me, lie about me, run out on me.  So much more rewarding than many human relationships I've had.

Children