Hi

Hello

I've just registered on this site, hoping to get lots of advice and information, my 7 year old son has recently been diagnosed with Autism, we've been pushing for an assessment for over a year and finally we got one, we are also  in the finally stage of a ADHD assessment we have an appointment on Monday with the psychiatrist to discuss if it is ADHD and to see if medication will help. My fears is that the medication will change his personality as he's such a happy, bubbly chap, but he is always moving, his concentration isn't good and that effect school work ( he is in a special school not main stream) and he loves to learn and is bright but can't focus, his emotions are very heightened so regularly has outburst if things aren't done to his liking.   

Any advice on ADHD and medication would be helpful.  

• Hi NAS36581,

One of the information pages here on the NAS site is related to Autism and ADHD, which you can view here - http://www.autism.org.uk/ADHD. It has information about the symptoms of ADHD, the process for getting a diagnosis, various forms of treatment and medications, as well as links to other charities and resources that focus on ADHD specifically. Hopefully you'll be able to find some of the information you're looking for here.

Best wishes,

Ross - mod