Hi. I am About to go on the journey.

Hi. 

Im Matthew, 37 and I am about to go on the journey to be referred for an assessment.  I have known deep down that I do have Autistic traits for a number of years and now is the time to confront it.

My best guess is that I have Aspergers.  I function but it takes sooooo much effort.  I have read and learned from books about body language, anthropology psychology. 

When I am tired, all the learning goes out of the window and I can be a little insensitive.  Not an excuse, but it can be difficult.

i know I will have to wait 3/4 months but hey.  Can anyone tell me what to expect?  Is it questionnaires etc?  I know that I hit all the developmental markers as a toddler (walking, talking) but that’s all that my parents can remember.  I can remember primary school vividly.  Including first year.  Is that typical? 

Anyway say hi.

Matthew

Parents
  • I must admit doing this, the process is a source of dread.  Waking up at night, panic attack’s.  I am concerned that my parents remember my childhood differently.  I.e they think I was normal, but it didn’t feel that way.  For example I didn’t have any real friends, I think I went to 5 birthday parties in my entire asisclence, the pub 5 times. I was more than happy to stay home.  It just wasn’t me and I was happy to stay there.

• The same.  Mum came to my diagnostic assessment to give her side of the story and said my childhood was relatively normal.  She admitted, though, that I was 'different' from my older brother as a child.  More disruptive.  More reclusive.  In my early teens, mum and dad tried to get me to go to youth clubs because they were worried that I didn't have any friends.  I went once, to please them.  Never again.  I dreaded parties, family weddings, etc.  Never went to the pub in my teens and twenties.  Only went to night clubs because I thought it was what I was supposed to do, and the only way I'd ever meet anyone.  I never did... and I always hated the experience.

• Amazing!

I also dreaded parties. I always hated the experience.

I have never visited the pub or a night club. I also thought it was what I was supposed to do but never did.

Am I missing out?

• I don't think so.  I found clubs to be miserable places.  I always went home alone!

Reply Children
No Data