Hi

I'm the mother of a young adult who received his diagnosis of high functioning autism when he was in primary school. He coped ever so well at school and uni (albeit he commuted to uni from home), and I felt confident in how to help him with issues that arose. However, I'm now struggling to help him become an independent young adult, and am thinking I really ought to have done more to help him with his social anxiety at a much earlier age. Still, here we are. I'd really appreciate any information I can share with him about overcoming social anxiety as a young adult, and where and how he can connect with other young adults to reduce his isolation and develop his self-confidence.

Parents
  • School and university are to a certain extent structured and so easier to cope with and had purpose about them. Now he’s finished education and has to make his way in the big bad world he’s probably finding it somewhat daunting, particularly as it doesn’t have a purpose. I suspect that trying to set some short, medium and long term goals that cover the next five years might be a good starting point to ease the transition. I know I struggle with life as there seems little poain’t yomit at times. If you then help him focus on and succeed with those goals everything else should fall into place given his success at school and uni.

Andrew

• Thanks for your reply. Yes, the lack of structure is definitely an issue. He's set up a home-based business, but the freedom to 'be your own boss' has advantages and disadvantages. Will definitely work with him on those short, medium and long-term goals. Wishing you well with your goals too.

• Thanks for your reply. Yes, the lack of structure is definitely an issue. He's set up a home-based business, but the freedom to 'be your own boss' has advantages and disadvantages. Will definitely work with him on those short, medium and long-term goals. Wishing you well with your goals too.

Children
  • Thanks. I run my own business to which is great from a flexibility point of view but can be tough breaking even. For a lot of businesses January and February can be bad from a turnover perspective and do can also be morale sapping and confidence damaging.