First time posting

Good day all. I'm Mary, the NT wife of a late-diagnosed spouse with autism, mother to a teen daughter with autism as well as another teen with profound, complex developmental & medical needs. I've joined this UK community, despite living in Canada as there seems to be much more knowledge & openness about late-diagnosed, married individuals & their spouses out of the UK. In North America the focus seems to be solely on children. I hope to find spouses in a similar care taking position as mine, those with autism able to perhaps advise on ways to best "reach" a spouse with autism & a generally supportive community that can understand the day to day challenges of such a situation.

Parents
  • Hello and welcome. I’m 45 and was only recently diagnosed and my daughter is likely to be too, but I don’t want her to be diagnosed as it would damage her career choice. My spouse isn’t on here so I can’t introduce you, but welcome

Andrew

• Thank you for the welcome Andrew. My spouse was diagnosed 8 years ago at 54 & my now 19 yr old daughter shortly thereafter. It's nice to meet another parent w/an adult daughter on the spectrum. How sad that a diagnosis, rather than capability would mean anything at all for your daughter's career.

• Thank you for the welcome Andrew. My spouse was diagnosed 8 years ago at 54 & my now 19 yr old daughter shortly thereafter. It's nice to meet another parent w/an adult daughter on the spectrum. How sad that a diagnosis, rather than capability would mean anything at all for your daughter's career.

Children
No Data