Socks and gloves

Hello,

This is my first post as my daughter aged 17 is at the beginning of her journey for official diagnosis for what I've suspected for some time for asd/ Aspergers.

My question though, is if anyone has heard of sensory problems regarding socks and gloves rubbing together? She can normally wear socks but only while they serve the purpose of feet being in shoes. As soon as the shoes are off, so are the socks. However if another person rubs their feet or gloved hands together it will set my daughter off into an hysterical meltdown. It doesn't happen with jumpers or any other clothing. Just socks and gloves. She's getting worse and now avoiding wearing socks herself.

Many thanks.

Parents
  • Hi there,

From my experience, the socks issue is a common thing.  I work with a highly-autistic lad who refuses to wear anything other than t-shirts and jogging bottoms - though he can be persuaded to put a coat on when going out.  Winter and summer, that's all he'll wear.  No underwear, no layers - and definitely no socks.  All he'll wear on his feet is Crocs or flip-flops.  In summer, he's often barefoot.  We haven't been able to fully establish the reasons, though sensory is definitely a factor. 

The rubbing together by other people could also be sensory because of the sound it makes.  For her, it might be like our response to someone drawing their fingernails across a blackboard, or chalk squeaking, etc.  Several of the people I work with have similar issues with fabrics.

• Thank you, yes I do believe it's sensory but I've not come across anyone with the sock issue before. We have to be very cautious not to foot rub infront of her. 

• The same lad I mentioned is very sensitive to other people's actions and will often 'adjust' your posture if he doesn't like the way you're standing.  Taking hands off hips, for example.  Also, if you whistle or yawn in his presence, it can trigger extreme anxiety.  I'm sure these things are all linked, in some way or other.

• The same lad I mentioned is very sensitive to other people's actions and will often 'adjust' your posture if he doesn't like the way you're standing.  Taking hands off hips, for example.  Also, if you whistle or yawn in his presence, it can trigger extreme anxiety.  I'm sure these things are all linked, in some way or other.

Children
No Data